Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Missing my mojo

I have been struggling with creativity lately. Even with all of the new restrictions and recommendations, I still have to go to work for my shifts (I work in a store deemed an essential business), so not only do I not have any extra time at home, but I'm dealing with the general public all day long. Don't get me wrong -- I know that many people are currently out of work altogether, so I am thankful to still have an income, insurance, and some job security. But I wasn't crazy about my job before this pandemic, so all of this just adds extra stress. Now when I am home, I really just want to be lazy on the couch. I have projects to do, and part of me wants to do them; I just can't find the energy or desire to be crafty.

But I do have quite a few cards that I haven't shared yet, so I will try to work on getting those posted. Today I have three get-well cards to share. I don't typically send many get-well cards, but I think as I get older I will need them more often. (Thankfully, none of these were related to COVID-19; I'm hoping I won't need any cards for that.)

Supplies:
Stamps: Hi There Bear (Concord & 9th)
Paper: Whisper White, Berry Burst, Soft Suede, textured Bermuda Bay card stock (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Soft Suede, Crumb Cake, Crushed Curry, Berry Burst, Bermuda Bay (Stampin' Up!)
Accessories: Hi There Bear dies (Concord & 9th), Go Green sequins (Craft Medley), Dimensionals (Stampin' Up!), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute)

This card was for a friend who had pneumonia last month. She really likes jewel-tone colors, so I used Bermuda Bay, Crushed Curry and Berry Burst (although the berry ended up looking more maroon). The striped background, bear and sentiment are stamped directly on the white panel. (The background stamp has an empty space for the bear, so I didn't have to mask anything). The top of the umbrella was stamped and die cut, and the handle was die cut from Soft Suede card stock. I added a tiny die-cut heart and a few teal sequins for a little embellishment.

Supplies:
Stamps: I want You to Know (Unity Stamp Company)
Paper: Basic Gray card stock (Stampin' Up!), Whimsical specialty paper pad (Pink Paislee)
Ink: VersaFine Onyx Black (Tsukineko), Crushed Curry (Stampin' Up!)
Accessories: Clear embossing powder (Stampamania), polka dot washi tape (Handmade Modern), metallic baker's twine and sequin combo pack (Stampin' Up!), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute)

This card was for a friend who was recovering from surgery. I love that little birdie sitting on the typewriter! The yellow paper is actually from a pack of patterned paper, although instead of having a pattern, this sheet is just yellow ombre. It's hard to see in the picture, but it's lighter at the top and gets darker at the bottom.


I started by stamping and embossing the typewriter near the bottom of the yellow paper. But then I decided that the background was too plain, so I stamped a small background stamp several times using Crushed Curry ink. I also colored the little bird in Crushed Curry. Then I went back and stamped and embossed the two sentiments above the typewriter. I love the shine of the embossing powder!

I attached the panel to a Basic Gray card Base and added a small piece of washi tape to the top right and bottom left corners of the focal panel. Three Crushed Curry sequins are the perfect finishing touch.

Supplies:
Stamps: Butterflies and Sunbeams (Unity Stamp Company), Tiny Words (Simon Says Stamp)
Paper: Marina Mist, Tangelo Twist, Whisper White card stock; Golden Honey Specialty Designer Series Paper (DSP) (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black (Tsukineko); colored pencils - PC918, PC922, PC903, PC901, blender pencil (Prismacolor)
Accessories: Skyscape Mini Coverplate dies (Catherine Pooler), jute twine (May Arts Ribbon), clear droplets (Pretty Pink Posh), Mini Dimensionals (Stampin' Up!), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute)

This card was actually for someone I didn't know. I had seen a post on Instagram from a woman who was looking for people to send cards to her grandmother while she was in a care facility recovering from an injury. I thought these butterflies were the perfect image.

The butterflies and heart are actually all one stamp, so I stamped the image twice on white card stock. On one of the images I colored the heart and gave the butterflies just a quick layer of orange. (I knew they would be covered up, but I didn't want them to be plain white underneath.) Then I die cut that piece with a rounded rectangle die. On the second image I colored the butterflies in more detail. I cut them out by hand and used Dimensionals to attach them over the first image.


I found a tiny sentiment for the upper right corner of the panel, but I had to modify it a bit. On the stamps, the words are all on one line, but that didn't fit in the space I had. So I carefully applied ink to just one word at a time and then stamped them separately. The spacing isn't perfect, but overall it looks pretty good.

I adhered the panel onto a piece of orange card stock die cut with a scalloped rectangle die (both dies are from the same set). I wrapped a piece of twine around the panel and tied it off in a bow.

For the card base I used a piece of Marina Mist card stock with a layer of black-and-white striped DSP. I adhered the panel over the DSP and added three clear droplets.

Thanks for stopping by today! I'm hoping I get back some card-making mojo next weekend. I have "forced" myself to play with my watercolor paints the last couple of days just so I could create something. But I really need to restock some of my cards. Stay safe and be well!

2 comments:

Sunshine. said...

Pretty cards Andrea! I like the one with the umbrella, love the colours and how the sequins match! Hope you are staying well:-) That Bear is very cute! It's very quiet here, no cars on the road. I am not used to it being so quiet, but I am enjoying it! We are in total lock down until the end of April. So glad I have my craft stuff, being in quarantine would be much harder if I didn't have my craft stuff!!
Hugs from Sunshine.
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Andrea - I hope you will be able to have time and inclination to craft more or to enjoy other things that bring you joy & happiness. I'm grateful for those, like you, who are keeping needed business and services available. Thank you!
Each card is perfect in it's own way - the cute bear would bring a smile, the colors of the second card are peaceful and calming. The butterflies on the third are cheerful and bring thoughts of summer days. Thanks for sharing.
Take care!
Judy