Saturday, August 4, 2018

Lemonade for a not-so-summery day

Today has been a dreary, rainy day, and it feels almost like a preview of autumn. Fall is my favorite season, and I don't really mind the clouds and rain, but I do feel like today needs a little touch of summer.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Lemon Zest, Jar of Love
Paper: Basic Black, Whisper White, Pineapple Punch card stock; watercolor paper (Marco's Paper)
Ink: Pineapple Punch, Versafine Onyx Black (Tsukineko), Basic Black marker, Lemon Yellow Color Burst powder (Ken Oliver Crafts)
Accessories: Everyday Jar and Bottles & Bubbles Framelits dies, washi tape, Basic Black baker's twine, sparkling clear sequins (Pretty Pink Posh), clear embossing powder (Stampamania), Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers), paint brush, Glue Dots, Dimensionals

I bought the Lemon Zest stamp set months ago but hadn't used it yet when I saw an adorable card made by Mindy Backes. I knew I wanted to make a lemonade card, too, and this is my take on the idea.

To make the background, I randomly stamped the lemon slice image using Pineapple Punch ink and card stock. I stamped "Life's short" in black ink in the upper left corner and added a strip of black-and-white-striped washi tape across the bottom of the card stock. I rounded all four corners and layered it on a Basic Black card base.

To make the focal image I stamped the jar on water color paper, embossed it with clear embossing powder and cut it out with the matching die. I used yellow Color Burst powder and water to create the lemonade, making the color lighter near the top of the jar and more intense at the base. I used the Bottles & Bubbles Framelits dies to make the straw, adding the black stripes with a marker. To continue the color theme, I wrapped black-and-white baker's twine around the jar and tied it off in a bow. The jar is attached to the card front with Dimensionals, using the washi tape to "ground" it. A few clear sequins finish off the card front.

Inside the card I stamped "Squeeze it for all it's worth!" and "Happy Birthday" on a panel of white card stock. To add some yellow, I stamped the whole lemon image near the lower left corner. I rounded the corners of the white card stock so it matched the front of the card and then adhered it inside the card.

I hope you have a lemonade-not-lemons kind of day. Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

Sunshine said...

oh yumm! I can TASTE this card and it is delicious!! Pineapple Punch and Lemon Yellow makes my mouth water! I love the card and how you have put it together - and you even added SEQUINS! YAY!
It's a sour lemon day here, light misty rain most of the day and no SUNSHINE:-( Bring back the sun and the lemonade, I say!
Awesome card Abdrea:-)
Sunshine
www.ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Sunshine said...

I'm definitely not a robot - lol!!

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! I literally think of you every time I’m trying to decide whether or not to add sequins on a card. 😉😂