Saturday, August 11, 2018

Teatime

When I create cards, I don't generally make specific cards for specific people. If I did that, I don't think any of the 1,397,294 people I know who celebrate October birthdays would get a card because I just don't have that much free time (though I certainly wish I did). Instead I usually just make cards whenever I can, add them to my stash and then pick out an appropriate card when I need one. (I do, however, write a personal note inside every card, even if it has a stamped sentiment inside.)

But every once in awhile I need to make a card with someone special in mind, which was the case for this little teatime scene:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Tiny Tags
Paper: Thick Very Vanilla, Very Vanilla, Pool Party, So Saffron card stock; Wood Textures Designer Series Paper (DSP) Stack; Stella & Rose - Mabel paper pad (My Mind's Eye)
Ink: Tip Top Taupe
Accessories: Jewelry Tag punch, Sitting Pretty dies (Taylored Expressions), Simple Stitched Hillside Borders dies (Lawn Fawn), Large Stitched Rectangles Stackables dies (Lawn Fawn), Teacup Stack die (Poppy Stamps), Finishing Touches Edgelits dies, linen thread, clear Wink of Stella glitter brush pen, Simply Scored Tool, Dimensionals

I found out that a young friend of mine likes to have tea parties but didn't have any teacups. So for her birthday I went to a local antique store and picked out a pair of cups and saucers. And naturally, I needed to make a teatime-themed card to accompany the gift.

For the backdrop for this scene, I used patterned paper with a small floral print as wallpaper. I created some wainscotting by scoring a piece of Very Vanilla card stock every 1/8" and adding a strip of card stock along the top like a chair rail. To make the table I simply used a die meant to cut a hillside and a piece of woodgrain DSP.

With so much empty space on the "wall," I decided to add a window. I used a die meant to create a small picture frame and cut it four times from woodgrain paper. I glued the shapes together on a piece of Pool Party card stock and then trimmed off the extra card stock. I also painted the blue squares with clear Wink of Stella glitter to make it look like sparkling glass.

To create the focal image, I used a die that cuts out a stack of teacups. For the front of the card, I used the die with Very Vanilla card stock and then added pieces of coordinating card stock and patterned paper behind the cups. (It takes a little longer, but you also could die cut the teacups out of several different papers and paper piece all the little bits together.) I needed a little embellishment, so I stamped and punched out a tiny tag and tied it to the handle of one of the cups with linen thread. Then I used Dimensionals to attach the completed die-cut piece to the card front so it looks as if the cups are sitting on the table.

Inside the card I added a piece of the same floral "wallpaper," this time die cut with a decorative edge to look like a fancy tablecloth or doily. I also die cut the teacups again -- using a light blue patterned paper -- but I didn't fill in the open spaces in these cups.

I decided not to stamp a sentiment in side the card so I can write my own message, but you could easily stamp a saying for just about any occasion.

All this talk of tea has made me thirsty for a cuppa. I think I'll have something nice and relaxing before bed. Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Sunshine. said...

What a pretty card Andrea! Using the hillside die for the table was a great idea! I like the soft colours, and how they all blend with each other.
Well done:-)
Your instructions on how you made the card and what products you used is always very clear and easy to follow. Thanks so much!
Sunshine.
www.iheaerttostamp.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! I sometimes feel like my instructions are too basic. But then, I don't tend to make very complicated cards. And I figure that maybe there is a newer stamper reading who needs some of that info.