Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Happy bug day!

Spring has been elusive in Minnesota this year. We had a few warmer days, and a lot of the snow had melted, but thanks to a lovely April snowstorm, we now have several more inches of white stuff on the ground. Sigh. I am ready to see the backside of winter, so to get in a more spring/summer frame of mind, here is a fun "bug day" card for the kiddos:


Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Bugs & Kisses, Beetles & Bugs, Birthday Greetings
Paper: Crumb Cake, Whisper White, Dapper Denim card stock
Ink: Dapper Denim, Tangerine Tango, Old Olive, Chocolate Chip

I really like how this card turned out, and if you noticed my supply list, I didn't use any embellishments! What? That's crazy talk.

I actually thought about adding something as I was finishing the card, but my go-to sequins wouldn't work at all (sad face). I suppose I could have used some clear droplets to look like dew drops. Or some small wooden elements of some sort. But in the end I just liked all the stamped bugs parading around the card stock, so I left well enough alone.

Speaking of stamped bugs, I used Chocolate Chip ink to stamp the outline of each bug. For the larger bugs, I added one color (Dapper Denim, Tangerine Tango or Old Olive) with the detail stamps. For some of the details, I stamped the image on scratch paper first to lighten the ink and create two tones of the accent color.

I did run my bone folder along the edges of the white card stock to distress them and add a bit of texture. Then I layered the white piece on Dapper Denim card stock and adhered the whole panel to a Crumb Cake card base.

I used the same size and colors for the layers inside the card. I stamped the sentiment with Dapper Denim in and added two little bugs -- I'm pretty sure they got lost and are looking for their friends.

Without the birthday sentiment, this card would be cute for other occasions, such as good luck wishes for a science fair, or an encouraging lunch box note. You could even modify the sentiment on the front of the card to say just "Sending worm wishes" to make it even more general.



Thanks for stopping by!



No comments: