Saturday, April 14, 2018

Sponged starry balloons

Winter won't end! I'm sitting at my computer and watching our second April blizzard. It started with rain yesterday, but it's been snow all day today. I know I should go out and do a round of shoveling, but it's so windy that it would all just blow right back. Sigh. And I just opened a Dove chocolate that had the message "Hello spring" inside. Not funny, Dove. Not funny.

On a happier note, last weekend I went to Milwaukee for one of Stampin' Up!'s regional OnStage events. I got to see a great friend, meet new people, and see lots of new Stampin' Up! products and colors. I haven't had a chance to make anything yet with the goodies I brought home, but I'm hoping to do that tomorrow. If I don't have to spend all day shoveling. In the meantime, here is a bright, fun birthday card:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Birthday Messages (Simon Says Stamp), Party with Cake
Paper: Lemon Lime Twist, Bermuda Bay, Whisper White card stock; Irresistibly Yours Specialty Designer Series Paper (DSP)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Lemon Lime Twist, Bermuda Bay, Pool Party, white gel pen
Accessories: Balloons dies (Simon Says Stamp), Streamers embossing folder (Taylored Expressions), crochet thread (DMC), Tiny Attacher (Tim Holtz), Ink Blending Tool (Ranger), Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers), Dimensionals

When Lemon Lime Twist was introduced last year, I really didn't think I would ever use it. But as it turns out, I really like it, especially with these tropical shades of blue.

I blended all three colors onto a piece of Irresistibly Yours Specialty DSP and then used a tissue to rub off the excess ink and reveal the embossed stars, which are perfect for a birthday card. Using a set of balloon-shaped dies, I cut out several balloons in different shapes and sizes. I added a little light reflection on each balloon with a white gel pen.


For the card base I used a piece of Lemon Lime Twist card stock and added a layer of Bermuda Bay embossed with streamers. I rounded the corners of the embossed layer to let a little more of the Lemon Lime Twist peek through. I adhered three balloons to the front of the card -- the largest one has a white bow and is attached with Dimensionals -- and stapled on a narrow banner stamped with a sentiment. I colored the sentiment with markers to make it extra festive.

Inside the card I added a panel of Whisper White card stock stamped with a sentiment. I'm not always a fan of the filled-in letters like this font has, but for some reason I think it works with the balloons. Speaking of balloons, I added two more of the sponged and die-cut balloons on the inside panel.





Thanks for stopping by -- and I hope your day is snowstorm-free!

4 comments:

Sunshine said...

Oh yumm! I like the colours on this balloon card! The lemon lime twist blends in well with the pretty blues! Very pretty card:-) Sorry about your snowstorm:-( Today is the first sunny day I have had since the storm last Tuesday! Your Dove chocolates have a funny sense of humour! Maybe they are just trying to encourage your Spring to hurry up! Enjoy the chocolate, forget the message!
Can't wait to see what amazing things you create with all your new craft things! Hve a fun Sunday:-)
Sunshine
www.ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

I’m glad you’ve got a sunny day, Sunshine! 😁 Will you send one our way? My sister and I ventured out to shovel, and along the side of our house the snow had drifted so much it was up to my knees!

Anonymous said...

Love balloons for birthday cards! I think they work for any age, gender, etc!
Blizzard here too (I'm to your south). I didn't do any crafting, but I did get my craft area reorganized & cleaned up after a big project recently finished.
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks, Judy! I love that balloons work for anyone’s birthday. Congrats on finishing your project and reorganizing. There are days when I’d rather organize my craft stuff than make anything. 😉