Wednesday, March 29, 2017

A bookcase and a baby card

When I first saw the Bookcase Builder stamp set in the Stampin' Up! Occasions catalog, I passed it by and told myself it was one I didn't need. I already had a bookshelf-type set from another company, and I didn't really need two sets so similar. Right? But then I realized that this set has a lot of different accessories to stamp on the shelves, and with both sets I could make some really fun and fancy arrangements. So I caved. Here are the first two cards I've made with the Bookcase Builder set:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Bookcase Builder, Sweet Essentials
Paper: Thick Whisper White card stock, Neutrals Designer Series Paper (DSP) Stack
Ink: Chocolate Chip, Crumb Cake, Soft Sky, Pear Pizzazz, Calypso Coral
Accessories: Subtles enamel shapes, Dimensionals

What do you think? I had fun choosing which accessories to put on the shelves and which colors to use.

I did have to make a last-minute change, though. I had intended this to be a one-layer card with all of the images stamped directly on the card front. So that's what I was doing, and everything was going along just fine. Until I added the sentiment and accidentally shifted the stamp. Grr.

I didn't want to start over completely, so instead of trashing the card, I cut off the card front, leaving about 1/4" of white space above and below the stamped images. I cut and folded a new card base and stamped the sentiment at the bottom first (I wasn't going to make that mistake twice). I added a strip of diagonally striped DSP near the top of the card base and above the sentiment and then used Dimensionals to attach the stamped focal panel to the card base so there is a border of DSP on the top and bottom. A small enamel heart finishes off the card.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Bookcase Builder
Paper: Thick Whisper White card stock
Ink: Tip Top Taupe, Mint Macaron, So Saffron
Accessories: Stitched Shapes Framelits dies, White Perfect Accents, corner rounder, Dimensionals

For my second card I wanted to use a few of the baby-themed images. I stamped the bear, blocks and duck on a scratch piece of card stock and cut them out with a small stitched circle die. I used Dimensionals to adhere them to a white card base with Dimensionals and then stamped a sentiment in the bottom right corner and a two-tone banner in the top left corner.

I wanted to add a little something to embellish the card, but nothing seemed quite right. Then I pulled out my White Perfect Accents, and they did, in fact, seem perfect. They add a little shine without cluttering the clean layout, and the shape reinforces the circle focal images. I didn't have a recipient in mind when I made this card, but I just found out yesterday that my cousin's wife is expecting twins in the fall, so I might just have to save this card for their growing family.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: