Thursday, March 23, 2017

Two lucky elephants

This weekend my sister and I are attending a Bollywood musical revue, and I'm really looking forward to the colorful costumes, joyful dancing and energetic music. With that on my mind, it seems like the perfect time to share a couple of card made with the Lucky Elephants stamp set.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Lucky Elephant, Daydream Medallions
Paper: Rich Razzleberry, Island Indigo, Crushed Curry, Whisper White card stock
Ink: Rich Razzleberry, Island Indigo, Crushed Curry, Basic Gray, Sahara Sand
Accessories: Fancy Fan embossing folder, Dotted Scallop Ribbon border punch, Gold Wink of Stella glitter brush pen, linen thread, gold sequins (Hazel & Ruby), Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers), Glue Dots, Dimensionals

I started this card by selecting a color pallet of three rich jewel tones: Rich Razzleberry, Island Indigo and Crushed Curry. I used Rich Razzleberry card stock for the base and repeatedly stamped two medallion images all over the card front. I embossed a piece of Island Indigo card stock with the Fancy Fan embossing folder and adhered it to a punched strip of Crushed Curry card stock so just a bit of the scalloped edge is visible. I adhered the piece to the card base and just below it tied a piece of linen thread in a bow.

To make the elephant, I used markers to apply ink directly to the rubber stamp, then stamped the image on white card stock and cut it out. I used Dimensionals to adhere the elephant to the card base so he's grounded on the Island Indigo card stock. I wanted to add a bit of sparkle, so I used a gold Wink of Stella glitter brush pen to add glitter to the Crushed Curry ink on the elephant and the Crushed Curry card stock scallops. I rounded the two right corner of the card and finished it off with three gold sequins.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Lucky Elephant
Paper: Smoky Slate, Whisper White card stock
Ink: Smoky Slate, Rich Razzleberry, Island Indigo, Crushed Curry, Sahara Sand
Accessories: Modern Mosaic embossing folder, Island Indigo 1/4" cotton ribbon, Crushed Curry polka dot ribbon, Rixh Razzleberry cotton ribbon, pearls, clear Wink of Stella glitter brush pen, doily (kit leftover), Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack, Glue Dots, Dimensionals

This card has a layout very similar to the previous one. For the background on this card I used the Modern Mosaic embossing folder instead of stamping images. To ground the cut-out elephant I used three strips of ribbon instead of a panel of card stock. (Quick tip: When attaching ribbon to embossed card stock, the texture often keeps the ribbon from lying flat. I solved that problem by adhering each ribbon to a strip of card stock the same color and slightly narrower than the ribbon. Then I glued the strips of card stock to the card front.)

The Smoky Slate elephant blended into the background a bit too much, so I broke up the gray by placing half a doily behind the elephant. I added tiny pearls to the elephant's blanket and a small punched flower with a pearl center in the upper right corner of the card.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: