Saturday, August 6, 2016

A happy little bird

We have a couple of bird feeders in our backyard, and it's fun to watch the birds (and squirrels and chipmunks) stop by for a bite to eat. I wonder if this little guy has passed our way:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: 4607 - Flowering Mailbox (Art Impressions), Hardwood
Paper: Crumb Cake note cards and envelopes, watercolor paper (Strathmore)
Ink: Crumb Cake; Le Plume II markers - 20, 86, 28, 15, 45, 99 (Marvy); Stardust Clear Gelly Roll pen (Sakura)
Accessories: Linen thread, Princess assortment sequins (Craft Medley), Glue Dots, watercolor paint brush (Connoisseur)

Isn't this a cute scene? I made a set of four of these cards as a birthday gift for a friend earlier this summer, and I was pleased with how they turned out. I was a little nervous going into the project because I hadn't done any watercolor stamping in awhile. Halfway through the watercolor panels I thought I was going to have to start over because they just didn't look right. But I kept at it, and while they might not look as "good" as I would like, my friend was thrilled with them. So I guess I need to remember to be patient and not so judgemental with my watercolor projects. (If you haven't tried this technique before, there are a lot of great videos on the Art Impressions YouTube channel.)

I wanted the watercolor panels to take center stage on the cards, so I didn't do a lot of embellishing. I used a Gelly Roll pen to add a subtle sparkle to the flowers, tied a linen thread bow around the bottom of the panel and added three magenta sequins. I used Dimensionals to adhere each panel to a Crumb Cake note card stamped with the Hardwood background stamp.

Remember if you would like me to send you a card as part of my #31daysofhappymail experiment, leave a comment on my "A blog anniversary - and you get a card" post by Aug. 31, 2016. Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Sunshine said...

What a cute card, and I love the colours! I have that SU Hardwood stamp and it is soooo versatile!
THANK YOU for the GORJUSS card I just got from you in todays mail!! I LOVE it! And I MUST get that "hello sunshine" Lawn Fawn stamp! It was such a nice surprise to receive your card, even though I knew you were sending it:-) I LOVE getting hand stamped cards in the mail, it's much better than getting bills! And I love the postage stamps too! I have been collecting postage stamps since I was about 11, so I have A LOT of them by now! (It was a long time ago I was 11!) Thanks for making my day:-)
Hugs from Sunshine, New Zealand
www.ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Lorraine said...

I think they're absolutely beautiful and I think you've enabled me to look into purchasing that stamp too! Great job with the watercoloring. What a splendid gift.