Thursday, August 18, 2016

Quilt card set

Are you a quilter? My mom does amazing work on quilts, and I even started one myself once ages ago. (I only finished one square, though, because naturally I had to choose a challenging and fairly intricate pattern for my first quilt and got frustrated and/or bored with it.) But I do appreciate all the work that goes into a quilt, and I love to look at quilts -- and bundle up with them during the cold winter months -- so when I saw a paper-crafting die that cut out a quilt pattern, I knew I had to get it.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Paper: Basic Black thick Whisper White, Crumb Cake, Lost Lagoon, Old Olive, Hello Honey, Calypso Coral card stock; Wildflower Fields Designer Series Paper (DSP)
Ink: Basic Black, Old Olive, Hello Honey, Calypso Coral, Lost Lagoon markers
Accessories: Quilted Cutting Plate, Buttons, Needle and Thread dies (Taylored Expressions); white baker's twine; Mono Multi liquid glue

For this set of cards, I die cut the quilt paper four times: once from Basic Black card stock and then with four different patterns from the Wildflower Fields DSP collection. I first planned to just make the card on the upper right. I love the bold black outlines with the different patterned shapes. But once I had all the pieces cut, I figured that I might as well combine the rest of the pieces and make a whole set.

When it came to placing the pieces, I used the same pattern for each card, For example, in this card the middle square and surrounding large rectangles and chevrons are all the same pattern. So on all the other cards, those pieces are the same pattern, although the pattern/color changes for each card (i.e., on one card they are all the Lost Lagoon pattern, on another they are all the Hello Honey pattern, etc.).

The assembly was a little time-consuming, but not hard. (The trickiest part was making sure I didn't lose any of the little shapes!) I just used a few tiny drops of liquid glue for each piece. You also could put your card stock or DSP on a sheet of double-sided adhesive before die cutting. Then you'd basically have a bunch of little stickers, and you'd just need to peel off the backing before fitting each piece in the "frame."

To finish the front of the cards I die cut a card stock button, tied it with white baker's twine and adhered it in the middle of the center square. For each card I used a different color of card stock for the button, and I chose the color to coordinate with the print in the small rectangles and triangles near the top and bottom of the quilt pattern.

To decorate the inside of the cards, I added a die-cut needle and spool of thread. (The thread inside the card matches the button on the card front.) I used a marker to draw a single "thread" from the needle across the bottom of the card.

For one last detail I used the Wildflower Fields DSP to line the envelopes for the cards. I'm trying to use more DSP, and this set of a cards was a fun way to do that. I'm looking forward to making another set of cards with this die to experiment with other colors and patterns.

Thanks for stopping by!


  1. Wow those cards are great! I love the die but don't know if I could do such a good job as you have done. I think it would scramble my brain trying to match all the pieces! And I have a cat who just LOVES to "help" me! He would mix up all the pieces for sure! But the end results are fantastic! And a great way to use your DSP as you said!
    Sunshine, New Zealand

  2. They really look like mini quilts. Great job!