Saturday, November 28, 2015

Woodland scene pop-up box card

I mentioned in my last post that I've been making a lot of my Christmas cards from kits. Most of the kits have been for traditional A2-size cards, but I did have one kit for pop-up box cards. Although I think pop-up box cards are really impressive, I've never made one from scratch because it always seemed a little too fussy for me. Even with the kit, which came with the bases and layering card stock squares pre-cut, the cards took longer to make than I hoped. But I was still pleased with the results:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Heaven & Nature, Season's Greetings. Woodgrain
Paper: A-2 Pop-Up Box Card Kit - Woodland (The Paper Cut); Old Olive, Mossy Meadow, Naturals Ivory, Very Vanilla card stock
Ink: Skin Tones Blendabilities markers, Early Esresso, VersaMark
Accessories: Trees and deer dies (Impression Obssession; included in card kit), Ice White Pearl Pen (Viva Decor), 1-3/8" circle punch, 1/16" hole punch, linen thread, Mono Multi liquid glue

What do you think? I really do like this peaceful woodland scene. As I mentioned, this kit included all the card bases as well as the layers for the panels (the kraft color on the flaps and the green on the panels on the bottom half of the box). The kit also included the dies for the trees and deer, although I used my own card stock to cut out the shapes.

I cut the deer out of Naturals Ivory card stock and used alcohol markers to color their bodies. For the trees -- there are three different sizes -- I used Old Olive and Mossy Meadow card stock. This kit wasn't specifically designed for Christmas cards, so I wanted to add a winter feel to the layout. I used an Ice White Pearl Pen to add "snow" to the tree branches and falling snowflakes on the panels that fold down.

With the inside of the cards done, I wasn't sure what to do with the panels on the outside of the boxes. I didn't want to use more die-cut deer and trees, but I wanted something that still fit with the theme of the cards. I decided on just using a background stamp and adding a little tag.

I had already glued the panels onto the card bases when I decided to add the background image, so I stamped the Woodgrain stamp with VersaMark ink. I like how this background stamp plays off the theme of wood and trees while keeping the masculine feel of the card. To add the tag I simply wrapped a piece of linen thread around the bottom of the card twice and then tied on a round tag stamped with a sentiment. I'll use the large blank panel to write a message and sign my name.

When putting a pop-up card in an envelope, you can leave two flaps folded down so you see the elements inside the card, just without the dimension. But I think I'll leave them closed like this for mailing, so the inside will be a complete surprise for the recipients.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: