Friday, November 6, 2015

Fall watercolors

At the past few stamp shows I've attended I've been enthralled with the watercolor-style stamping by Art Impressions. I finally gave in and bought several stamp sets and markers and even took a class the company offered at a local stamp store (where I had to buy a couple more sets, naturally). I've practiced a little bit here and there, but a couple of weeks ago I decided to watercolor a few images to use on cards.

I used the same layout for each focal image (it's one we made in the class I took and it's also on the package for the stamp set) and the same basic supplies for all the cards (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Clay Pot (4701), Foliage (4051) (both Art Impressions)
Paper: Crumb Cake note cards and envelopes, watercolor paper (Strathmore), Summer Smooches Designer Series Paper (DSP), Sycamore Street DSP
Ink: Markers: 28 - English Red, 45 - Sepia, 6 - Brown, 17 - Steel Blue, 86 - African Violet (Marvy Le Plume II)
Accessories: Wooden leaves (Paper Source), Into the Woods Elements, metallic vintage hemp twine (Hemptique), navy grosgrain ribbon, Envelope Liner Framelits dies, Dimensionals, Mono Multi liquid glue

I didn't add a lot of embellishment to the cards because I wanted the watercolor images to be the focus. But the little wooden elements were perfect accents, and I was really happy with how all three cards turned out. I also used my new Envelope Liner Framelits dies to make the envelopes a little fancier.

I decided to switch up the colors for this version. I like the contrast of the blue and orange, although I wasn't sure at first if it would work. I also cut down the main layer for this card and added a swatch of DSP in the background.

Now that I have this watercolor layout "mastered," I'll have to try some different scenes and images. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: