Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Barrettes for a first birthday

Last weekend I attended the first birthday party for the daughter of one of my cousins. I had a couple of small gifts for her (a board book and a set of cute snack containers), but I also wanted to give her something handmade, so I pulled out the supplies for making ribbon barrettes.

Decorative barrettes made with single-prong curl clips, ribbon and various embellishments.
Supplies for barrettes (all decorative supplies are Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Ribbon: Dress Up Ribbon Originals, Chocolate Chip taffeta ribbon, Pool Party ruffled ribbon
Embellishments: Jolee's Boutique black flowers (EK Success), Sweet Pea stitched felt, Accents & Elements Fleurettes
Other: Single-prong curl clips, hot glue gun

Supplies for holder (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Just for You
Paper: Basic Gray card stock
Ink: Basic Graynch
Accessories: Scalloped Tag Topper punch, Horizontal Slot punch

These barrettes are very easy to create, and I've made quite a few of them. (See the link above for step-by-step instructions and photos, and search my blog for "barrettes" or "ribbon barrettes" and you'll find other examples.) Once I have all the supplies together I can make a pair of barrettes in five minutes or less. Perfect for a last-minute gift!

To make a holder for presenting the barrettes, select a neutral color of card stock so the barrettes are the focal point. I used a piece of Basic Gray card stock that was just under 2" wide and 8-1/2" long. (The length of the card stock will vary depending on how many barrettes you want to include.)

Close-up showing how the barrettes clip on to the holder through a slot in the card stock.
I punched the top of the card stock with the Scalloped Tag Topper punch and then set the barrettes on the card stock so I could play with the spacing. Once I had them arranged I used the Horizontal Slot punch to make a slot for each barrette. Notice that I alternated which direction the barrettes are facing, so I also alternated on which side I punched the slots. For the top and bottom pairs I punched from the right side of the card stock; for the middle pair I punched from the left. Then I just opened each barrette and slipped the back part through a slot.

I had some extra space above the top pair of barrettes, so I added a simple "just for you" stamp, which was the perfect finishing touch for this little gift. In all honesty, the recipient doesn't have much hair, yet; I hope it will come in soon so she can try out her barrettes.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: