Sunday, April 26, 2015

Birthday flip card

I haven't had a lot of stamping time during the past few weeks -- life happens, distractions pop up -- and the time I have had hasn't been very productive. But I do have a few projects I need to tackle this week and next, so I'm hoping my mojo gets back in gear. At any rate, here is a flip card I made for a recent birthday:

Birthday flip card features an orange and blue banner and balloons on the focal panel.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Packed for Birthday, On Your Birthday, Party Hearty, birthday Petite Fours set (Denami Design)
Paper: Chocolate Chip, Whisper White card stock; Pawsitively Prints Designer Series Paper (DSP)
Ink: Chocolate Chip, Ballet Blue, Pumpkin Pie
Accessories: Square Flip-Its #2 dies (Sizzix), Wink of Stella clear glitter brush pen (ZIG), wooden stars from Hooray It's Your Day card kit, linen thread, Mono Multi liquid glue

This card was for a teen boy, which is a challenging demographic for me. I don't really have any images that are "cool" (or whatever the young 'uns say today), so I decided to stick with generic birthday images and a good "boy" color scheme: brown, orange, and blue.

The banner is from the Packed for Birthday stamp; I used a marker to color just that part of the image and then stamped it across the upper left corner of a piece of Whisper White card stock. I added the sentiment and a few balloons (with hand-drawn strings) and colored the images with Ballet Blue and Pumpkin Pie, the two colors that coordinated with the DSP I used for the background.

Close-up of focal panel showing Wink of Stella clear glitter on balloons.
I thought sequins or rhinestones might be too "girly" for this card, so for embellishment I glued a few wooden stars on the focal panel and on the upper right corner of the card base. I did want to add a little sparkle for some visual interest, so I pulled out my brand new Wink of Stella glitter brush pen and painted some clear glitter over the balloons. It was the perfect amount of glitter -- enough to catch the light when you move the card, but not enough to overpower the rest of the card. (I can't wait to try out the other two glitter brush pens I bought.)

The reverse side of the flip panel features a stamped sentiment and small firework images.
On the reverse side of the flip panel I adhered a piece of Whisper White card stock stamped with a sentiment surrounded by a few fireworks images. I also used the glitter pen on the center of the fireworks -- fireworks need to sparkle, right? To finish off the background, I stamped an additional sentiment on the bottom of the DSP on the right side and tied a piece of linen thread around the middle of the left panel.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: