Thursday, April 9, 2015

Simply Pressed Clay letters

I recently rediscovered how fun it is to make my own embellishments with the Simply Pressed Clay, so I was excited to see a mold for letters and numbers in the 2015 Occasions catalog. What a fun way to add dimension to a project while being able to spell out any word or sentiment.

Birthday card featuring a washi tape candle and "wish" greeting made with Simply Pressed Clay.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Paper: Whisper White, Baked Brown Sugar, Coastal Cabana card stock
Ink: Baked Brown Sugar marker, So Saffron ink refill
Accessories: Simply Pressed Clay, Alphanumeric Simply Pressed Clay Mold, Retro Fresh washi tape, Lucky Stars embossing folder, Mono Multi liquid glue, Dimensionals

This is the first card I've made with Simply Pressed Clay letters. And by combining the letters with a washi tape focal point, I didn't even need any stamps.

I did discover that the letters and numbers can be a little trickier to make than the buttons and flowers from the other Stampin' Up! molds. Here are a few tricks that helped me in the process:
- When filling the mold, roll small amounts of clay into little "snakes." Place the rolled clay in the letter shape, following the contours, and gently press it to fill the shape. Add more clay if needed.- Before removing the clay from the mold, place the mold in the freezer for about 15 minutes. That will help the letters hold their shapes while you pull them out of the mold. You also can let the letters remain in the mold until they are partially dry (I let them sit overnight). Then remove them and allow them to finish drying.
- You can cut the clay when it's dry. The flame for the candle on my card is actually half the heart from the Alphanumeric mold.
- I chose "wish" because none of the letters repeated, so I could make them all at the same time. Other possibilities include "smile," "hi," "joy," "love," "hugs," "friend," and "thanks."
- I used Mono Multi liquid glue to adhere the finished letters to the card.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: