Wednesday, May 7, 2014

First Communion card

I often have a hard time creating cards for religious occasions, such as baptisms and confirmations, because I don't have many stamp sets with religious images. But when I needed to make a First Communion card for my cousin's daughter a few weeks ago, I knew right away what I wanted to make.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Strokes of Wisdom (Raisin Boat)
Card stock: Pear Pizzazz, Whisper White
Ink: Calypso Coral, So Saffron, Pear Pizzazz, Pool Party, Wisteria Wonder
Accessories: Lattice die, Frost White Shimmer Paint, pearls, sponge daubers, Dimensionals

I wanted to have a rainbow on the background, so I used one of the "swoosh" images from the Strokes of Wisdom stamp set (from Raisin Boat). I stamped the image in five different colors on Whisper White card stock, lining up the images to create the look of a rainbow.

To make the cross, I cut a piece of Whisper White card stock with the Lattice die and then trimmed it down to get the cross shape. (I didn't come up with this idea, but I love the result.)

I wanted the cross to stand out a little, so I used a sponge dauber to apply Frost White Shimmer Paint. It has a pretty, subtle shimmer in person. I also applied shimmer paint along the edge of another piece of Whisper White card stock to layer behind the focal panel.

To adhere the cross to the card I cut Dimensionals into tiny pieces that fit behind the cross. The final touch was a pearl in the center of the cross.

The "Celebrate" sentiment (also from the Strokes of Wisdom set) wasn't necessarily my first choice; I was looking for something more along the lines of  "God bless you." But I liked the calligraphy-style font, and the sentiment fit perfectly across the whole focal panel, so I decided to go with it. Besides, a First Communion, at least in our family, is always followed by a party with gifts and cake, so it clearly is a time to celebrate.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: