Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Wetlands birthday greetings

I've been trying to be a little more thrifty with my crafting budget recently. Sometimes it's a bummer not to be able to get the latest and greatest stamps or tools. But it also means that I can "rediscover" the stamp sets I already own. That's what I did last weekend with the Wetlands stamp set from Stampin' Up!.

I loved combining the stamps from this set with a bit of ink blending. For the card on the left, I stamped the goose first then masked it and stamped the reeds a few times. I let the mask in place and lightly blended blue ink for the sky and green ink for the grass. Then I removed the mask and added a tiny bit of kraft ink to the goose for some shading. I left the bottom portion of the panel white to stamp a sentiment and also added a few sequins. I matted the panel with black card stock and adhered it to a green card base. I wanted to add one more embellishment, so I stapled a folded piece of neutral ribbon in the upper right corner.

For the card on the right, I was inspired by a few samples I saw online, like this card by Alisa Tilsner. (When I'm stuck with a stamp set, I do an image search for the name of the stamp set and company to get ideas.) To make my card I tore a piece of masking paper in half, making sure it wasn't a straight tear. I placed the two halves of the masking paper on a piece of white card stock, leaving a few inches of space between them and off-setting the pieces so the torn edges didn't match up. In the opening on the white card stock I stamped the image of the birds in the middle and the reeds at either edge. Then I started ink blending: kraft on the bottom half (darker at the bottom, lighter toward the middle), light blue in the middle, and dark blue along the top. To make the horizon line, I used a piece of masking paper with a straight edge, placed it a little above the top of the "sand" and lightly blended over it with the dark blue ink. Then I removed all the masking paper, stamped the sentiment, and added a few sequins. I matted the panel with black card stock and adhered it to a kraft card base.

I was really pleased with how these cards turned out -- and it was fun inking up an old stamp set. Thanks for stopping by!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are great cards Andrea! It's fun to use what we have in craft stash, and like you, I sometimes do an image/brand search to see what ideas I can find. I like the way you have blended the inks on the 2nd card, such pretty colours! Stampin' Up! have such amazing stamp sets for sure!
Sunshine.

Andrea said...

Thank you, Sunshine! I like the ink blending on that card, too. :)