Thursday, April 27, 2023

Fun with foil, part 2

In my last post I explained how I used Transfer Gel Duo and Deco Foil sheets to make a variety of foiled backgrounds for cards. Today I'm sharing the second batch of cards I made with my foiled backgrounds.

I think a few rainbows are basically required when making foiled backgrounds. :) For the first card (left), I used rainbow foil and black card stock. I also used holographic card stock for the die-cut sentiment, and I added a matching sequin with each color in the foil. So much shine and sparkle! For the second card, I used a cloud stencil and iridescent foil to make a cloudy sky. (I discovered that this stencil was the hardest one for me to use with the gel because of the large open areas of the clouds. It was easier for me to get even gel coverage with stencils that had small designs.) I added a die-cut rainbow, a sentiment strip, and a few clear sequins to compete the card.

These two backgrounds -- little flowers and river rocks -- called for a nature theme. On the first card I added black die-cut butterflies with vellum behind them. I also placed pearls at the center of several of the gold flowers. For the second card I added a die-cut dragonfly and "happy birthday" sentiment. 

For the last two cards I wanted to use an ocean theme, and I ended up with two bottle-in-the-sea cards. For the first card I made a shaker, which I don't do very often. Since the bottle outline was thin, I didn't want to use foam to create the shaker; instead, I die-cut a whole bunch of the bottles (maybe eight, I can't remember for sure) and glued them together in a stack. I glued the stack to the card base and added some sequins, a few wooden seashells, and a little "note" inside. Then I added the window sheet and stamped bottle outline to the top. I added a piece of die-cut cork sheet for the cork in the bottle. It's not really a mailable card, but it's a fun one.

For the second card I used rainbow foil with a stencil that had a scale pattern. It reminded me of a mermaid, so I used this cute mermaid-in-a-bottle image. (I think this is the only foiled card I made with a stamped image; I prefer to use die-cut shapes instead.) I used a coupe of strips for the sentiments and finished the card with several clear droplets to mimic the look of water.

I'm looking forward to making more foiled cards -- I have a lot more stencils to try out! Thanks for stopping by!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are fun cards Andrea! The foil looks good, and the colours are great! I like the dotty background on the shaker card, but they are all great cards! I have some Sizzix 3D adhesive, and I have used it to adhere foil. Lot's of fun!
Sunshine.

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine!