Monday, April 10, 2023

April Christmas cards: Quilt blocks

One of the projects I completed during my spring break was my April Christmas cards. (It feels good to get them done at the beginning of the month so I don't have to worry about it later.) I try to include a variety of styles and images in my Christmas cards, so this month I decided on a layout with a paper-pieced "quilt block" as the focal image.

I knew I wanted to use a group of retired Stampin' Up! products: Quilted Christmas Designer Series Paper (DSP), the Christmas Quilt stamp set, and the Quilt Builder Framelits dies. I pulled out the colors of card stock that coordinated with the DSP -- Real Red, Blushing Bride, Lemon Lime Twist, Pool Party, and Garden Green -- and die cut the quilt block from each color. I separated the frames/outlines from all the little pieces and then played around until I had five different arrangements that included each color of card stock. 

To assemble the focal images I die cut five white scalloped squares that were just slightly larger than the quilt blocks. I glued each frame to a scalloped square (doing my best not to distort the edges) and then glued in all the little pieces. It actually went quicker than I thought it would! 

For the card bases I used Crumb Cake card stock with a strip of DSP along the left side. (I chose DSP patterns that included all five of the colors I used.) I adhered a piece of red ribbon along the edge of the DSP on each card and then attached the quilt blocks using foam tape. Using white ink I stamped a greeting in the bottom right corner of each card and finished them off with a small bow in the center of the quilt block.

I ended up making ten cards with this layout, so I created two cards of each quilt block design. Another batch of Christmas cards done! Thanks for stopping by!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! I love these Christmas cards Andrea! The colours are real Christmas-y colours! It looks like lot's of hard work to me, but I guess if you know what you're doing it wouldn't be so bad. I haven't even given Christmas a thought yet, it seems sooo far away! I am sure the recipients will love these cards!
Sunshine.

Anonymous said...

So pretty - I like the twine bow accent, perfect for the folk-art look.
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks, Judy and Sunshine! The piecing wasn't too hard, Sunshine -- I just sorted all the die-cut pieces into a pile for each quilt block and then it was easy to do all the gluing.