Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Birthday challenge card

Last month, one of my upline demonstrators through Stampin' Up! sent out a card-making challenge to her team. Each of us received a card base and layer to make a card with a fun fold. We could use any Stampin' Up! products we wanted, and here is the card I created:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: P.S. You're the Best, Picture Perfect Birthday
Paper: Melon Mambo, Whisper White card stock; Neutrals and Subtles Designer Series Paper (DSP) Stacks
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black; Blends markers - Pool Party, Smoky Slate, Pineapple Punch, Granny Apple Green; Melon Mambo Stampin' Write marker
Accessories: Rhinestones, Subtles Enamel Shapes, Basic Black/white baker's twine, Bitty Banner punch, Dimensionals

The pieces I received were the Melon Mambo card base, the Whisper White inner layer, and the Melon Mambo and white layers on the card front. Melon Mambo isn't one of my usual go-to colors, so I decided to give it a little retro feel by adding in Basic Black and Pool Party.

I stamped the typewriter, with the flowers and sentiment, on a scratch piece of white card stock, colored it with Blends markers (I love that blue typewriter!) and then cut it out by hand. Using Dimensionals, I adhered the typewriter to the square of Whisper White card stock. I added a little blue banner and twine bow in the upper right corner and finished the focal layer with a few rhinestones. I added a layer of black-and-white striped DSP on the card front and then adhered the focal layer, matted with the Melon Mambo, near the top of the card (making sure not to glue the card shut!).


For the inside layer,  I stamped a birthday sentiment near the left side of the card. I chose a sentiment that was tall and narrow since the front of the card is shorter than the back. I also stamped a small image in the lower right corner. Not only does that add some interest to the plain white space when the card is closed, but it also provides a visual cue when the card is open -- it creates a "border" on the right side so I know where to stop writing. I added a little blue enamel heart over the corner image, because why not? :)

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Sunshine. said...

What a great card, and I really like the layout and how it folds! Love that cute enamel heart, such a nice touch! The colours are really pretty, and the black and white stripes look good too!
Well done!
Sunshine