Thursday, June 11, 2020

Cards from a scrapbooking kit

Several months ago I learned about an organization called Bring Smiles to Seniors that delivers cards to seniors who may feel alone and need a little love. They might live in senior care facilities, be home-bound, or participate in nutrition programs, such as Meals on Wheels. Bring Smiles to Seniors collects donations of cards and has volunteers write messages and/or decorate the insides of the cards.

I wanted to send in a box of cards, so this spring I spent some time creating cards from a scrapbook kit I bought ages ago. The kit contained elements from two Cosmo Cricket lines: Early Bird and Garden Variety. The kit contained at least sixteen 12" x 12" patterned papers (some of the patterns were border strips and journaling cards to be cut apart), as well as adhesive chipboard elements, and alphabet stickers. I also have the coordinating stamp set from Unity Stamp Company. I'd used bits and pieces of the kit over the years but had mainly been hoarding it because I thought the papers were so cute. This was the perfect occasion to use them -- and here are the 72 cards I made:


I love the bright, cheery colors and patterns in these papers, and I thought they would be perfect for cards for seniors because there are some retro-style images and punny sentiments. I used a variety of other supplies with the kit, including sentiment stamps, word dies, punches, and a few simple embellishments. I thought I had jotted down some of those supplies, but if I did, I can't find the list. So if you have a question about a particular stamp, die, etc., leave me a comment, and I'll try to figure out which set or company it is from.

Here are more detailed pictures of the cards divided into smaller batches. (There are a lot of photos - sorry!)











The top middle card in the last picture wasn't in the group photo above because it wasn't in the batch I donated; I sent that one to my crafting bestie. But since I used the kit to create it, I wanted to include it in this photo.

I ended up using almost all of the papers; I had some little scraps left over, but I think I recycled all of them because I didn't want to hoard them any more. I did have some chipboard stickers I couldn't use because they were too big (e.g., a 12" long border pieces), and I tucked those away with the rest of my stickers to save for now. It felt good to finally use those supplies!

Thanks for stopping by today!

4 comments:

Sunshine said...

Oh My Gosh!! Andrea, what an amazing job you have done with these cards!! Wow, that's a lot of cards and a lot of work! They all look great, and my fave card is in the 3rd lot of photos, bottom row on the left. The one with the big bumble bee! He is soooo cute! I also like the one next to it, also with the (smaller) bee. Which company are they from? The back ground papers are awesome and you have matched them so well! Awesome job!
Sunshine

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great cards - they will certainly bring smiles and cheer! Thanks for the link to the organization too. I like any of them with chickens, but I think the "punny" cow is the best.
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! The large bee is printed on one of the journaling cards from the patterned paper, so it is from Cosmo Cricket (but several years old, so I'm sure they don't make this line anymore). I think the small bee is a stamp from the coordinating stamp set, which I have somewhere. I rearranged some of my stamps and am not sure where I put that one. Oops! When I find it, I can stamp some to send to you if you'd like. :)

Andrea said...

Thanks, Judy! I really like the chicken ones, too! :)