Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Three cards for guys

Today I'm sharing a few cards geared toward guys. I used these designs for my Father's Day cards this year, but by changing the sentiment you could use them for any occasion. Each card has a different theme, so there's something for a variety of different personalities or interests.

Supplies:
Stamps: Punny Man 2 (Taylored Expressions), All-Year Cheer II (Stampin' Up!)
Paper: Thick Whisper White, Whisper White, Basic Black, Poppy Parade, Granny Apple Green, Bermuda Bay card stock (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black (Tsukineko)
Accessories: 1/8", 1/4" 3/4", 2" circle punches (Stampin' Up!); Nested Banners dies (Simon Says Stamp), jute twine (May Arts Ribbon), foam tape (3M), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute)

This design would be great for any music lover, not just the guys. I made this card for my great-uncle who, in his 90s, still likes to sing and play the piano. I knew I wanted to use this sentiment, so I set out to create some records with various circle punches. The record is made with 1/8" and 2" circles, and the label is 1/4" and 3/4". Here's a tip: When punching a large circle with a smaller circle in the middle, punch the smaller circle out of the card stock first. It's much easier to center the larger circle around the smaller hole than to try to find the middle of an already punched circle.

Once the records were punched and assembled, I just glued them onto a white card base so they were all touching. The fun thing about a background like this is that when you cut off the pieces that hang past the edge of the card, you can use those pieces to fill in other parts of the background or add them inside the card:


The next card is a little more traditionally masculine:

Supplies:
Stamps: Woven Plaid Background (Concord & 9th), All-Year Cheer II (Stampin' Up!), All the Fixings Stamp and Die Combo (Taylored Expressions)
Paper: Crumb Cake, Night of Navy, Whisper White card stock; galvanized metallic paper (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Night of Navy, Crumb Cake Blends marker (Stampin' Up!)
Accessories: Foam tape (3M), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute)

This card was for one of my uncles, who is also my godfather. He likes to wear flannel shirts and used to build a lot of things, so this design was perfect for him. I stamped the background image using Night of Navy ink on white card stock and then used a ruler and a Crumb Cake Blends alcohol marker to add the extra lines in the pattern.

To make the tools, I die cut them out of navy card stock and galvanized metallic paper. Then I trimmed off the tool handles from the navy pieces and glued them to the metallic pieces. The stamp set that coordinates with the tool dies has a few great greetings, but they didn't quite work for this occasion, so I just used a Happy Father's Day stamp on the front of the card and wrote a personalized punny sentiment inside.

And last but not least:

Supplies:
Stamps: Punny Man 2 (Taylored Expressions); Itty Bitty Birthdays, Bubble Over (Stampin' Up!)
Paper: Thick Whisper White, Whisper White card stock; Bubbles & Fizz Designer Series Paper (DSP); gold foil sheets (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Basic Gray (Stampin' Up!)
Accessories: Bottles & Bubbles dies (Stampin' Up!), Wonky Stitched Circles dies (My Favorite Things), clear droplets (Pretty Pink Posh), glitter enamel dots (Stampin' Up!), foam tape (3M), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute)

The fun images and bright colors on these cards are great for light-hearted cards for guys -- or anyone, really (I'm thinking especially of tweens/teens). I made the card on the right for my dad, and since I had everything out, I decided to put together a bonus birthday card. The pop bottles are all die cut from a sheet of DSP (I love that the dies coordinate with the paper as well as the stamps), and I used gold foil paper for the bottle caps.

For the background on the Father's Day card, I used various sized scraps of DSP glued onto a white card base to create a block background. I added two bottles (one adhered with foam tape) and used a white die-cut circle to help the sentiment stand out. A few clear droplets add the look of bubbles.

For the birthday card, I used a large piece of DSP as the background and then added a smaller piece in a darker pattern to act as a "table" for the pop bottles. I added the sentiment on a banner at the bottom of the card and used several green glitter enamel dots for embellishment.


I added a few more pop bottles inside the cards along with stamped sentiments. Pretty quick, easy, and fun!

Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

Sunshine. said...

What fun cards Andrea! The one with the records on is my fave, and such a great tip about cutting the hole in the circles! I'll have to remember that!
You have done a great job on all of these cards!
Sunshine

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! I think that card might be my favorite, too! :)

Anonymous said...

Great ideas for cards for guys! The plaid one stood out for me - I do know a couple of guys who favor plaid shirts (like your uncle) who would like a card like this. Thanks for the inspiration.
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks, Judy! I think that background stamp is so pretty (or cool might be better for the masculine cards)! :)