Monday, April 1, 2019

Teacher note cards

Three of my cousins are teachers, and all three have birthdays in February or March. My usual gift is a set of handmade cards, and this year I decided to add a personalized twist: I gave each of them a set of eight teacher-themed note cards stamped with her name.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: To Thine Own Shelf (Simon Says Stamp), Pick a Pennant
Paper: Whisper White note cards and envelopes, Whisper White card stock
Ink: Gray Granite, Cherry Cobbler, Crushed Curry, Pear Pizzazz, Brocade Blue, Stardust Gelly Roll pen (Sakura)
Accessories: Large Stitched Rectangle Stackables dies (Lawn Fawn), Neutrals Candy Dots, foam tape (3M)

I wanted to include an apple image in each design, so for this set I added a small apple on a shelf along with a few books, a plant, a clock and a storage box. I used a Gelly Roll pen to add a bit of sparkle on some of the images and stamped the name below the shelf. I cut out the little scene with a stitched rectangle die, attached the panel to the center of a note card with foam tape, and added two Candy Dots for a simple embellishment.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Labeler Alphabet, apple incentive stamp, Pockets & Pages Journaling - Notepaper (Taylored Expressions)
Paper: Very Vanilla note cards and envelopes, Very Vanilla card stock, Typeset Specialty Designer Series Paper (DSP)
Ink: Pool Party, Memento Tuxedo Black; markers: Poppy Parade, Close to Cocoa, Gumball Green
Accessories: Note Tag punch, 7/8" scalloped circle punch, Poppy thick twine (Close to My Heart), Tiny Attacher (Tim Holtz), Dimensionals

For this set, I used a piece of DSP with bold numbers for the background of the cards. To make the focal image, I stamped a notepaper image with Pool Party ink and then punched it out to make a tag. I stamped the name on one of the lines and used a Dimensional to attach a little apple, which I punched out with a scalloped circle punch. I stapled a bit of red twine to the top of the tag and then added then tag to the middle of the card front with Dimensionals.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Apple of My Eye, Labeler Alphabet
Paper: Whisper White note cards and envelopes, Whisper White card stock
Ink: Real Red, Old Olive, Soft Suede
Accessories: Linen thread, micro adhesive dots (Glue Dots), Mini Dimensionals, Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers)

With this design, the apple is the main attraction. I stamped the name on a scrap of white cardstock, cut out the pieces (the whole name together, not the individual letters) and attached them to the card front with Mini Dimensionals. I wasn't sure how to embellish this design, but I finally settled on a simple linen thread bow on the stem of the apple. I also rounded the two bottom corners of the card to echo the shape of the apple.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Jar of Love
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Poppy Parade
Accessories: Paper gift bag (Target), mini clothespin (unknown), Poppy twine (Close to My Heart)

I packaged each note card set in one of these cute paper bags. I bought the bags ages ago at Target, and they were perfect. Well, almost perfect. They are actually flat bags that I altered to make gusseted bags so the cards would fit inside.

It's actually not hard to alter the bags -- you just need to make a few score lines, trim a bit off the bottom of the bag, and then adhere together the newly created flaps on the bottom -- but I didn't take any pictures this time. If you need help with that part, leave me a comment below, and I'll put together a little photo tutorial.

I thought these note cards would be great for end-of-the-year thank yous for students or for quick notes to parents. They were fun to make, and I think my cousins all liked their personalized gift.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: