Monday, April 29, 2019

April Christmas card: Penguin shaker

When I made my Easter shadow box cards, I realized that the shadow box opening made with the Shadow Box Card Park Add-On dies from Lawn Fawn looked a lot like a snow globe. And a snow globe would be perfect for a Christmas shaker card.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Winter Penguin (Lawn Fawn), Christmas Sampler (Paper Smooches)
Paper: Lost Lagoon, Whisper White, silver card stock; All Is Calm Specialty Designer Series Paper (DSP)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black; Lost Lagoon; Alcohol markers - Pumpkin Pie, Smoky Slate, Old Olive (Stampin' Up!); BT4 (Spectrum Noir); C1 (Copic)
Accessories: Shadow Box Card Park Add-On and Ocean Add-On dies (Lawn Fawn), Frosted Sequins, bead mix (unknown), window sheets, adhesive foam strips, Mono Multi liquid glue, Glue Dots

I think this little ice skating penguin is so cute! I just love him. And he works perfectly as the focal image in this shaker card.

I die cut the shaker opening from a piece of DSP and positioned it on a Lost Lagoon card base. With a pencil I lightly traced along the bottom edge of the opening onto the card front and then removed the DSP. I adhered a piece of silver card stock over the pencil line for the ice, and stamped a few snowflakes in the background. I stamped, colored and cut out the penguin, glued him on the card base and then placed a little pile of beads and sequins in the middle of the scene.

For the next step, I adhered a piece of window sheet behind the DSP. (Note: Because the top of my shaker card was patterned paper instead of card stock, I added extra stability by using a piece of window sheet that was almost the same size as the DSP rather than just covering the opening. If you wanted to be more frugal with your window sheet or acetate, you could glue the patterned paper to a piece of card stock to make it sturdier. In that case, though, you would have to cut the shaker opening from the card stock as well.) I applied foam strips to the back of the DSP and then carefully placed the top piece on the card front, making sure to firmly press down and adhere all the foam.


I thought about making my shaker card actually look like a snow globe, but in the end I decided to just add a banner stamped with a sentiment. The patterned paper seemed like it needed a little something, so to finish off the card I added a few of the same silver sequins that are in the shaker.

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Sunshine said...

Sooooo cute, I love it! And yes, a snow globe is perfect for a Christmas card - well, it is in your part of the world! Here, he would melt because Christmas for me is in Summer! Still very cute! You put a lot of time and effort into the card and did a great job!
Sunshine
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! I should try making some summery Christmas cards! :)