Friday, April 26, 2019

Sprinkled with stardust

I have a cousin who loves purple, so for her ninth birthday, I made her this card:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Sprinkles and Smiles (Penny Black), Birthday Basics Turnabout (Concord & 9th)
Paper: Elegant Eggplant, Very Vanilla card stock; gold foil sheets; watercolor paper (Strathmore)
Ink: Gansai Tambe watercolors - 37, 38, 91, 139 (Kuretake); Elegant Eggplant
Accessories: Mini Treat Bag dies, Stars dies, "sparkle" die (Taylored Expressions), Dimensionals

I used three shades of purple to make a watercolor wash background. I love making these backgrounds -- I need to do them more often! My top two purples aren't blended as well as they could be, but that's okay.

Once I was done with the purples, I decided to turn the panel into a night sky. I got gold watercolor on my brush and then tapped it on my finger to add gold splatters to the background. I die cut several stars and the word "sparkle" from gold foil sheets and glued them to the dry watercolor background. Finally I mounted the panel on an Elegant Eggplant card base.

For the inside of the card I cut a layer of Very Vanilla card stock slightly smaller than the card base. In my stamp stash I found the perfect birthday sentiment ("Birthdays are days sprinkled with stardust") and stamped that, as well as "happy birthday," in Elegant Eggplant ink. I carried over the stars from the front of the card by gluing two small gold stars and one large purple star around the sentiment. Then I just had to adhere the layer inside the card base.

And that's it! Definitely not a complicated card, but one that was fun to make and perfect for the recipient.

I think it would be fun to make a whole set of cards with a monochromatic watercolor wash like this on the front. Each card could feature a different color and have a different die-cut word, with or without the stars. Or maybe different shapes to coordinate with the different sentiments (hearts for "love," etc.). I'll have to add that to my ever-increasing list of crafty things I want to try!



Thanks so much for stopping by today!

2 comments:

Sunshine said...

Oh yum, I love the purple colours! And I think the way you blended them is fine:-)
I am sure the recipient will love the card!
The god stars etc look great too!
Awesome job Andrea!
Sunshine

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! I always love reading your comments!