Sunday, January 31, 2021

January Christmas cards: Gel print trees

With everything going on in the world, I almost completely forgot to make any January Christmas cards this year. Luckily I was off work this weekend, so I was able to make a few cards yesterday and share them today.

Supplies:
Stamps: A Little Christmas Carol (Unity Stamp Co), Christmas Quilt (Stampin' Up!)
Paper: Crumb Cake, Whisper White card stock; gold foil sheets (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Crumb Cake (Stampin' Up!), Sugar Cube (Taylored Expressions)
Accessories: Perfect Pines dies (Stampin' Up!), Merry Minis punch pack (Stampin' Up!), cranberry grosgrain ribbon (Stampin' Up!), foam tape (3M)
Other: Gel plate prints in various shades of green

Years ago I made a few gel press prints with green paint. I saved them because I thought they would be perfect for die cutting Christmas trees, but I never remembered to use them. Well, since I was short on time for this batch of cards, it was the perfect solution for quick focal points. I was able to die cut twelve trees (three different sizes) from the gel press prints. I made three cards with a single tree and three cards with a trio of trees.

For the background I used a stamp I bought just before the holidays last year. It has lyrics to Christmas carols (religious and secular) in a type-style font. I love it!

I also splattered the background with white pigment ink to create the look of falling snow. To do this, I squeezed a few drops of pigment ink from the refill bottle on a clear stamp block and added a tiny bit of water. Mix it with a paintbrush and then tap the brush over the card to create the splatter. Add more ink and/or water as necessary. Depending on the size of the drops and the amount of water, it may take awhile for the splatter to dry. I ended up blotting the card fronts and then using my heat tool just a bit to help them dry.

Finally, I added a gold star to one tree on each card and brought in a bit of red with grosgrain ribbon and an enamel dot on each card.

Inside the cards I added a layer of white card stock with a sentiment stamped in Crumb Cake ink. I had some small scraps from the gel prints, so I punched out six tiny trees and added one below the sentiment in each card.

Thanks for stopping by today!



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great cards - so much to like! The subtle text background, the splattered snowflakes, the red dots/gems add great balance to the red ribbon, and the tiny tree with the inside sentiment is perfect - and of course, the gel print trees, each unique!
Judy

Andrea said...

Thank you so much, Judy!

Sunshine. said...

Love the trees, and using your gel prints is a fabulous idea! I have loads of gel prints, so I could try this idea!
(Awesome green colours!)
Sunshine.

Sunshine. said...

great cards, and a fabulous ide to use your gel prints for the trees! I have a stack of prints I did so I must remember to use them!
Lot's of work Andrea!
Sunshine.

Andrea said...

Thank you so much, Sunshine! It is fun being able to use up pieces or backgrounds that are sitting on my desk. :)