Wednesday, March 28, 2018

One in a Minion

Months ago one of my cousins asked me if I would make him a Minion card like the Yoda one I made him for his birthday a few years ago. Of course I told him I would, and I had every intention of making the card and mailing it to him as a "just because" surprise. I even did a Google search for different Minion punch-art images.

But, as so often happens, life got in the way and I never had a chance to sit down and make the card. I left those search results open on my iPad, though, and I finally managed to make him a Minion card for his tenth birthday. Yay!

Supplies for the Minion character (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Just Jeans
Paper: Daffodil Delight, Marina Mist, Chocolate Chip, Basic Black, Whisper White card stock; silver paper
Ink: Marina Mist, white gel pen
Accessories: Mini black brads (Making Memories); 1/2", 1", 1-1/4" circle punches; Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack; small daisy punch; Circles and Ovals Collection Framelits dies; Glue Dots; Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute Glitter)

Supplies for card base (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Labeler Alphabet, Party with Cake
Paper: Crumb Cake, Basic Black, Whisper White card stock
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Marina Mist, Daffodil Delight
Accessories: Softly Falling embossing folder, Sticky Strip, Dimensionals

I have to say that I think he turned out pretty cute! And instead of putting my Minion on a "flat" card, I made him into an easel card (with a non-birthday outer sentiment) so my cousin could display it in his room if he wants to.


Here are some tips and measurements for my Minion:

Body - I started with a 3" x 6" piece of Daffodil Delight card stock and traced a circle Framelits die to make his head and an oval die to make his bottom. Here is a picture of the minion on my grid paper so you can get an idea of the size.

Hair - I hand-cut the little tuft of hair.

Eyes - I used the small circle from the Itty Bitty Shapes punch pack with Basic Black card stock, the 1/2" circle punch with Chocolate Chip card stock, and the 1" circle punch with Whisper White card stock. I added highlights with a white gel pen.

Goggles - Silver paper punched with the 1-1/4" circle punch and a 1/4" wide strip of Basic Black card stock for the band.

Smile - I punched a piece of Basic Black card stock with the 1-1/4" circle punch, shifted the punch slightly, and punched again.

Arms and hands - I used 1/4" wide strips of Daffodil Delight card stock for the arms. For the hands I punched two Basic Black daisy flowers and then trimmed off some of the petals (see photo). I added teeny pieces of black card stock as the cuffs.

Clothes - I traced the Minion shape onto scratch paper and then sketched a general shape for the overalls. Once I was happy with the shape, I traced it onto Marina Mist card stock that I stamped with the Just Jeans background stamp and cut it out. The straps are 1/4" wide strips of Marina Mist, attached with mini black brads. I used a white gel pen to add stitching details. The legs and shoes are cut out by hand.

Here is a picture with the card completely closed. I wanted a neutral card base that didn't detract from the Minion, so I used Crumb Cake card stock. The plain card stock was a bit too boring, though, so I decided to emboss it with the Softly Falling embossing folder because it reminded me of falling confetti.

I scored the card front about 2 " from the bottom (unfortunately I didn't write down the exact measurement). Then I adhered just the bottom part of the Minion to the portion of the card front below the fold.

The card base is a standard A2 size (4-1/4" x 5-1/2"), but obviously the Minion extends past the edges of the card. Luckily I found an old store-bought envelope in my stash that was big enough to fit the finished card.

Finally, here is a picture of the inside of the card. To make the easel part, I spelled out the sentiment "You're one in a Minion" with the Labeler Alphabet stamp set using black and Marina Mist ink on Whisper White card stock. I trimmed out the words and adhered them to a piece of Basic Black card stock. Then I used Dimensionals to attach the panel along the bottom of the inside of the card.

For the upper panel, I cut a piece of Whisper White card stock and stamped it with a birthday sentiment. (The full sentiment is "It's time to celebrate with cake," but I just omitted the last couple of words to better fit my card.) I wanted to add a bit of yellow inside the card, so I colored in the first few words with my Daffodil delight marker.

And that's it! It really wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be when I started. And it's fun to make something a little different sometimes. So thanks for stopping by -- and remember that you're one in a Minion!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - amazing! I know it's just one little detail in a fantastic card, but it's so cool how you could envision the hands from the daisy punch - a great talent to be able to see things like that. Again - amazing card.
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks, Judy! I can’t take full credit for that idea. I’m pretty sure one of the many punch-art Minions I looked at used some type of flower or scalloped circle punch for the hands. I just had to look through my stash to find one, and luckily this one was the right size.

Sunshine said...

OMG this is awesome Andrea! Such perfect details! Lots of work involved - well done! Your cousin is going to LOVE it, and you!
Happy Easter!
Sunshine
www.ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! I think he liked the card. I didn’t get to give it to him in person, but my sister said he did. I wonder what he’ll ask me to make next. 😉