Saturday, March 10, 2018

Golden cake for a golden birthday

A couple of weeks ago my extended family celebrated my cousin's twenty-fifth birthday, which also happened to be her golden birthday. The occasion called for a fancy birthday card with plenty of gold, and this one seemed to fit the bill:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Distressed Dots
Paper: Thick Whisper White card stock, gold foil sheets, Succulent Garden Designer Series Paper (DSP)
Accessories: Bake Me a Cake dies (Taylored Expressions), gold mini sequin trim, pearls, delicate white doily, Frost White shimmer paint, sponge dauber, Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute Glitter), sequins (Paper Pumpkin leftovers), Dimensionals

Pretty fancy, right? It's definitely more elaborate than the cards I usually make, and all the layering was a little challenging for me. And while I like the end result, it's not my favorite card.

Anyway, I started with a thick white card base and stamped the Distress Dots background stamp using Frost White shimmer paint. I love stamping with shimmer paint, and it's easy to do. Just use a sponge dauber to apply paint to the stamp, then stamp the image and clean off the paint. It creates a subtle pattern that shimmers in the light. I added a narrow strip of gold foil and a row of pearls along the bottom edge of the card.

For the focal image, I cut the cake and pedestal out of white card stock and out of a piece of Succulent Garden DSP. I chose a subtle, monotone pattern to add a bit of color but not be too distracting. I trimmed off the pedestal portion from the DSP cake and then glued the cake part onto the white die cut. I cut the accents out of gold foil, adhered them to the cake and added some tiny pearl accents. I also added shimmer paint to the bottom of the pedestal to make it make it look a little fancier.

Behind the cake I added a white doily (which I first crumpled a bit and then flattened to add a little dimension) and a few loops of mini gold sequin trim. (I think it's the sequin trim that keeps me from really liking this card. Even though it's tiny sequins, it seems too heavy. Maybe I should have put the trim behind the doily. I also think I should have added something on the top of the cake.) I finished off the card with a few sequins to match the cake.

While I had these dies out I decided to make one more birthday cake card:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Paper: Mint Macaron, Whisper White card stock; Irresistibly Yours Specialty DSP; gold foil.sheets
Ink: Mint Macaron
Accessories: Bake Me a Cake dies (Taylored Expressions), Party Punch pack, pearls, metallics sequin assortment, Streamers embossing folder, iridescent shreds (unknown), sponge, Sticky Strip, Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute Glitter), Dimensionals

I used the same color scheme for this card: Mint Macaron, white and gold. For the cake I used DSP that's all white with an embossed white scallop pattern. I sponged on Mint Macaron ink to add the color and white excess ink off the embossing. To embellish the cake I added two mint scallops with pearls, three gold candles and gold accents on the pedestals.

To make the background I embossed a piece of white card stock with streamers and mounted it on a Mint Macaron card base. I added iridescent shreds behind the cake and finished the card with three gold sequins.



Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Sunshine said...

Yumm, I love cake! Can I have a (large!) slice of each cake, please!! I love the iridescent sparkles behind the bottom cake! I like how you used shimmer paint, what brand do you use? Glad to see you used sequins - I am addicted to them now, after seeing how great they look on your cards! They have become my latest, and greatest, embellishment!
Sunshine
www.ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! I use a shimmer paint that Stampin’ Up! used to sell. It’s by Tsukineko, and the front of the bottle says “All-purpose ink for Fantastix.” It’s awesome to stamp snowflakes on white card stock for Christmas cards.