Sunday, December 10, 2023

Scrap bookmarks

A couple of weeks ago, I shared some crazy quilt scrap papers I made with leftover pieces from gel press prints. I decided to cut up one of the pages to make some bookmarks, and here are the results:



I cut the scrap paper into 2-3/4" x 5-3/4" pieces and was able to get six out of the sheet. Then I looked up quotes about reading and books online and wrote one quote on each bookmark. (I tried to add a little character to my lettering, but it's mainly just printing. I would love to work on my hand lettering -- I just need to find the time and focus!) I rounded the corners of each bookmark and used black pens and a white paint pen to add doodles and details: dots, stitches, swirls, etc.

Once I was happy with each bookmark, I removed the backing paper and adhered them to white card stock. (You could adhere the entire sheet to card stock before cutting it. I wasn't sure if the bookmarks were going to work, so I decided to wait and add the card stock at the end.) 


To finish off the bookmarks, I slipped each one into a little plastic sleeve. I don't know where these sleeves are from or what their intended purpose is; I found them at work on a table of stuff that teachers were getting rid of. I took them thinking that they might work for bookmarks, so I was pleased to see I was right -- and I love that I was able to use something that would otherwise have been thrown away.

Thanks for stopping by!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love these bookmarks! The sayings are perfect and the colours are fabulous! These are a perfect example of using up any scrap card/paper! I love them all, as well as the sayings! Awesome job Andrea!
Sunshine.

Anonymous said...

A perfect use for your crazy quilt papers! I love the Stephen King quote - books are indeed magic.
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine and Judy!