Saturday, December 17, 2022

Easy handmade gift items

So I've temporarily solved my computer problems -- I'm borrowing my sister's computer. :) I'm going to try to get a few posts done and scheduled for the rest of December. Then I think I'll have to break down and buy a new computer next year.

Anyway, I don't have any more Christmas cards to post -- the September batch was the last for this year. But I have been busy the last few weekends making some little gifts for the holidays, so I thought I'd share some of those. None of the the gifts are holiday themed, so they would be great for a variety of occasions, such as birthdays, thank-you gifts, even party favors.

These coordinating notepads and pens were fun and easy to make. They are 4" x 6" unlined notepads and Pentel RSVP pens. I bought these supplies many years ago and made a few of them at the time, but I decided I would use up the rest this holiday season. I think they'll make cute gifts for the office staff at my school -- and I get rid of some of my stash!

I used card stock to make the covers for the notepads. I cut a piece of card stock a tiny bit wider than the pad and a few inches longer. I scored the card stock once at the length of the pad and then a second time the same thickness as the pad (e.g., score at 6" and 6-3/4"). So the cover folds around the gummed end of the pad and goes a couple of inches along the back. (You could make the cover long enough to cover the whole back of the pad, but I'm fine with it this way.) I applied strong double-sided adhesive to the card stock on the back of the pad and firmly pressed it to the chipboard backing.

For this batch of notepads, I cut the rainbow die out of five different card stock colors and then mixed and matched the pieces to make five rainbows. I added each rainbow to a covered notepad over a layer of rainbow-themed paper. (I made two each of the designs on the left and the right.) For the pens, I took a small scrap of each of the same patterned papers, rolled them up, and inserted one inside the barrel of each pen. I tied a few bits of coordinating ribbon onto the pen cap for a finishing touch.


Here are a couple of more notepads. The one on the right is a smaller, lined notepad, but I used the same basic process to measure and make the card stock cover. I also made a few notepads with ocean-themed papers and die-cut seahorses, but I didn't take pictures of those.


These magnets are a fun way to hang note on your fridge or in an office. I measured and cut strips of patterned paper just a bit smaller than the length and width of the clothespins. Using a set of small alphabet stamps I spelled out a few phrases with black ink. I adhered the strips to the clothespins and then coated them with a little bit of clear varnish. (I think something like Mod Podge or Multi Matte Medium would be good options, too.)


I cut strips of magnetic tape or magnetic sheets and glued them to the back of the magnets. Be sure you check the strength of the magnets first; I had some magnet sheets that were not strong enough to hold up the clip. I wish I'd had some really strong magnets, but the ones I used should be enough to hold a photo/piece of paper without the clip sliding down the fridge.


For my last project, I decorated these little boxes. (They are the mini pizza boxes from Stampin' Up!, although I'm not sure if they are currently available.) I know there are lots of ways to make all kinds of little boxes from scratch, but I wanted something faster. All I had to do for these was pick a pack of patterned paper and then cut and glue pieces on the top, bottom, and sides of the box. I chose Christmas papers, but anything would work here. Inside I added individually wrapped tea bags and a lip balm.


There you have it -- a few ideas for easy handmade gifts that would be great for party favors, teacher gifts, neighbor thank-you gifts, and many other occasions.

Thanks for stopping by!


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Andrea! I hope you get your new computer so you can keep blogging all your amazing creations! I love those little notepads and pens! I like how you inserted a piece of co-ordinating DSP into the pens, that's a fun idea! Love the clothespins(we call them pegs here in New Zealand!). I made some of those for a friend a few years back and she tells me she still uses them! Those pizza boxes are so cute, and what a great idea to put the tea bags and lip balm in them! I must remember all your fabulous gift ideas! You have done an amazing job creating all these gifts! Thank you for sharing all these ideas - have a wonderful Christmas and New Year!
Sunshine xxx

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the inspirations!
Sending good vibes for an easy technology update.
Judy