Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Christmas ornaments

It's late on Christmas Eve, and I'm waiting for midnight mass, so it seems like a good time to pop in with a quick post to share the Christmas ornaments I made this year.

I didn't keep any supply lists, so leave me a comment if you have any questions.

I found a tutorial for these adorable gnome ornaments on the Ruffles & Rainboots blog, and I knew right away I wanted to make them. Their pretty easy to make, and once I got the hang of it, they came together pretty quickly. (My biggest issue was the strands of hot glue everywhere!) I did try using yarn instead of craft fur to create the beards for two of the gnomes, and that was a lot trickier. I had to cut and glue quite a few pieces onto the base so the beard was full enough, and then I had to unravel the yarn a bit. It looks a little like they have dreadlocks, but I think they're still cute.



When I started these snow globe ornaments (I made twelve total), I thought they looked too plain, but by the time I was done I really liked them.

I found packages of bottle brush trees at Target, and I painted white gesso on the edges of each tree to create the look of snowy branches. I glued a tree to the bottom of a plastic jar (from Michaels) and added the artificial snow. (Tip: I rubbed the inside of the jars with a drier sheet first to reduce the static electricity and help keep the snow from sticking to the jar.)

I tried making a hole in the lid so you could hang the snow globe, but that plan didn't work. So these are sitting ornaments instead. I decorated the top of the jar with patterned paper and card stock, and wrapped twine around the lid. I tied it off in a bow, added a piece of pompom trim and glued a whole star anise over the knot.


For these ornaments I bought the sign shapes (with the top string attached) and painted them white. I die cut the letters out of black card stock -- three pieces for each letter -- and glued them together. (This was the most time-consuming part.) I added a top layer to each letter cut out of black glimmer paper to give a little sparkle and glued the letters on the sign. I strung the felt bulbs on crochet thread and glued the ends to the back of the sign.



This is another sitting ornament. I found these tiny animals (called Good Luck Minis) at my local art supply store. I originally wanted to put them in the snow globes with the trees, but the scale wasn't quite right. I needed to add a lot of "snow" to the jars, and these little guys would have been totally buried.

So instead I created a mini woodland scene. I painted the top of a birch round with white gesso, glued on the tree (with painted branches) and animals, and then glued on a light layer of snow.

I made three of these ornaments, and I still have a few of the animals left, so I'll have to come up with another ornament design for them next year.

I hope you have a very happy Christmas filled with joy, peace, and moments to remember. Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The gnomes made me smile the moment I saw them. The snow globe jars reminded me of vintage globes. The little felt bulbs on the signs are so cheerful. And the little woodland scene is so peaceful and calm. In other words - love them all! Thanks for sharing - and a Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Judy

Sunshine said...

What great ornaments Andrea! I love the cute Gnomes! My fave is the Gnomes with the curly beard! They are all amazing and very cute! Hope your Christmas day went well!
Sunshine.
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

Thanks, Judy! I loved those gnomes immediately, and I'm so glad I made some. I make them again next year and give them to people who didn't get them this year. :)

Andrea said...

I'm glad you like the gnomes with the curly beard - I was worried they looked weird. :) As always, thanks for your kind comments, Sunshine!