Thursday, August 22, 2019

One-layer card: Blue and green wreath

As I mentioned in my last post, this morning I had a chance to make two clean and simple (CAS) single-layer cards for Challenge #166 at the Addicted to CAS blog. The first card featured some happy yellow flowers and no-line coloring. For this card I used heat embossing and some light watercoloring:

Supplies:
Stamps: Weekend Doodles (Altenew)
Paper: Solar White 110-lb card stock (Neenah)
Ink: VersaFine Onyx Black (Tsukineko); ZIG Clean Color Real Brush pens - 036, 041, 033 (Kuretake)
Accessories: Clear embossing powder (Stampamania), clear droplets (Pretty Pink Posh), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute), water brush (Kuretake)

I used the same stamp set for this card as I used for the first card. I just love the images, and there are great sentiments, too. I chose one of the wreath images for this card, stamped it in the middle of a white card base with VersaFine Onyx Black ink and then embossed it with clear embossing powder.

I wanted to try a little watercoloring with this image, but since I didn't stamp on watercolor paper, I knew I had to be careful with the amount of water I used. The ZIG Clean Color Real Brush pens worked perfectly for this card. I chose a green, a light blue, and a teal pen and then started filling in the leaves.

For each leaf, I added a few strokes of color at the base of the leaf. Then I used a water brush to pull the color toward the tip of the leaf. I didn't blend it out too much because A) I didn't want to add too much water on the card stock, and B) I wanted to keep the look of the strokes. Once the blended color was mostly dry, I added a bit more color, again at the base of the leaf, so there a few shades of color. (A few of the leaves have a tiny white spot in the middle. That's from stray embossing powder - I forgot to check for any renegade granules before I heated the powder. It's just extra character, right?)

With the coloring done, I stamped and embossed a sentiment below the image and added three small clear droplets around the wreath. I'm really pleased with the way this single-layer card turned out!

Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

Sunshine. said...

OH gosh, this is such a pretty card Andrea! I just love those clear droplets you have used! I really like the colours on this card, and I can't see any white spots on the leaves! But you being the creator if the card will know exactly where they are - keep it your secret:-)
Sunshine
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Barb Ghig said...

Such a beautiful wreath, Andrea! Your color palette is so pretty and I love how you alternated the colors of the leaves! A really lovely one layer card ~ Thanks so much for playing along with us at Addicted to CAS!

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! We always see the flaws in our own work, right?

Andrea said...

Thank you!