Saturday, August 10, 2019

Alcohol inks, part 2

Welcome back to the second installment of cards created with alcohol ink. (If you missed the first installment, you can check it out in yesterday's post.) I used a group of three alcohol inks to make all of the cards today -- Espresso, Denim, and Lettuce -- and again focused on masculine designs.

Supplies:
Paper: Crumb Cake, Early Espresso card stock (Stampin' Up!); Tim Holtz YUPO paper (Ranger)
Ink: Tim Holtz alcohol inks - Espresso, Denim, Lettuce (Ranger)
Accessories: Layering Ovals dies (Stampin' Up!), Woodland Silhouettes 2 dies (Taylored Expressions), pearl mixarive and alcohol blending solution (Ranger), Dimensionals (Stampin' Up!)

I'm going to apologize in advance for the overly bright, not great pictures. I don't know much about photo editing, so my attempt to make them better wasn't very successful. I also don't like these cards  as much overall as the ones I shared yesterday. I suppose they can't all be masterpieces, right?

But this card is my favorite of today's group. These colors have a woodsy feel to me, and I think this clean and simple layout would be perfect for outdoorsy or nature-loving guys and gals. I used neutral Crumb Cake and Early Espresso colors for the card base and layers so the alcohol inks could really be the focus. I chose a die-cut bear for the main image, but you could easily swap out the bear for a different animal, trees or foliage, or even a sentiment.

Supplies:
Paper: Granny Apple Green, Early Espresso card stock (Stampin' Up!); Tim Holtz YUPO paper (Ranger); copper foil sheets (Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Tim Holtz alcohol inks - Espresso, Denim, Lettuce (Ranger)
Accessories:"It's your day" die (Simon Says Stamp ), burlap ribbon trim and vintage brads (Stampin' Up!), copper Deco Foil (Therm-o-Web), alcohol blending solution (Ranger), 1/4" Scor-Tape (Scor-Pal), foam tape (3M)
This is a fun layout for using up scraps of paper (especially if you have coordinating patterned papers that you can mix and match). To break up the strips of alcohol ink paper, I added a strip of burlap trim ribbon (secured with copper mini brads) and some copper Deco Foil.

The fun thing about Deco Foil is that you can use it with double-sided adhesive; I usually use Scor-Tape. For this card I adhered a strip of 1/4" Scor-Tape to the card base, removed the backing and then placed the sheet of Deco Foil over the exposed adhesive. I rubbed along the tape with my finger, then pulled up the sheet, and -- ta da! -- a shiny strip of copper.

For the focal image, I die cut the "It's your day" die from Early Espresso card stock and added a piece of copper foil sheet behind it to add one more metallic touch.

Supplies:
Paper: True Thyme, Blueberry Bushel card stock (Stampin' Up!); Tim Holtz YUPO paper (Ranger)
Ink: Tim Holtz alcohol inks - Espresso, Denim, Lettuce (Ranger)
Accessories:"It's your day" die (Simon Says Stamp ), Ray of Sunshine cutting plate (Taylored Expressions), Mermaid Mix sequins (Pretty Pink Posh), alcohol blending solution (Ranger), clear Wink of Stella glitter brush pen (Kuretake), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute Glitter), foam tape (3M)
My goal with this card and the next one was to die cut the Rray of Sunshine cutting plate from a piece of alcohol ink paper and then use the outline for one card and the inside piece for another. This, obviously, is the card with the outline.

For the middle of the sunburst, I used the "It's your day" die again, this time cut from Blueberry Bushel card stock and backed with True Thyme (which is a long-retired Stampin' Up! color, a nice greenish-brown neutral). I popped that up with foam tape and added a few sequins for a little sparkle.

Supplies:
Stamps: Birthday Backgrounds (Stampin' Up!)
Paper: True Thyme, Blueberry Bushel card stock (Stampin' Up!); Tim Holtz YUPO paper (Ranger)
Ink: True Thyme; Tim Holtz alcohol inks - Espresso, Denim, Lettuce (Ranger)
Accessories:"Happy birthday" die (Simon Says Stamp ), Ray of Sunshine cutting plate (Taylored Expressions), True Thyme stitched ribbon (Stampin' Up!), Scor-Tape (Scor-Pal), alcohol blending solution (Ranger), Art Glitter Glue (Art Institute Glitter)

That would make this the card that used the inside pieces from the Ray of Sunshine cutting plate. At least that was the idea. When I started gluing the pieces onto Blueberry Bushel card stock, I messed up the spacing somehow, so I ended up with half a panel instead of a whole one. I tried to salvage that and still make a card, but I'm really not crazy about how it turned out.

I used a True Thyme card base and stamped the top half with a fun background stamp (that kind of mimics the shape of the sunburst) and added the alcohol ink pieces on the bottom half. I used a piece of ribbon to cover the seam and add a little texture. Then I adhered a blue die-cut "Happy birthday" above the ribbon and two flags of alcohol ink paper along the fold of the card. I'm not exactly sure what it is I don't like about this card; I think it just seems like a mish-mash of stuff that doesn't really go together.

Well, that's it for my alcohol ink cards for this round. When I make the next batch, I think I'll try some bright pinks and purples. Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Sunshine said...

OMG, I like these cards Andrea! I really enjoy seeing how you use the alcohol inks, mine never seem right::-( Maybe I am just too critical of my own work?!
I do love that Blueberry Bushel card stock:-) I think the card with the cut out bear on it is a great masculine card, I always struggle with those and go into a "panic" when someone asks me to make them a masculine card or two!
Thanks for sharing,
Sunshine
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

If you're like me, you probably are too critical of your work. :) I've found that when I don't really like something I've made, if I put it away for awhile, when I "find" it again, it doesn't look so bad.