Sunday, January 27, 2019

January Christmas card: Mod flower

I really enjoyed making and sharing my monthly Christmas cards last year, so I decided I would try it again this year. For my first card I used a new stamp set that wasn't necessarily meant for Christmas cards - it's always fun to find an unexpected use for a stamp set.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Mod Floral Stack (Reverse Confetti), Holiday Wishes (Altenew)
Paper: Very Vanilla note cards and envelopes
Ink: Tranquil Tide, Lemon Lime Twist, Real Red, VersaMark
Accessories: Red sequins (unknown), gold detail embossing powder, Candy Cane Lane baker's twine, Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers)

It's definitely more modern than my usual style, but I like the way this card design turned out. I stamped the largest petals in the darkest color, Tranquil Tide, on the bottom. Then I progressed up to Lemon Lime Twist and Real Red. Originally I was going to use two shades of red to mirror the two shades of green, but then I thought the image needed a little glitz. So instead I embossed the smallest petals with gold embossing powder. I also added gold at the bottom of the card with an embossed sentiment.

This clean and simple card needed a little embellishment, so I added two red accents: a single sequin at the top of the petals and a baker's twine bow on the light green petals. For a final touch I rounded the two corners on the right side of the card to mimic the curve of the petals.

It feels good to already have a few Christmas cards made. Now if I could only get a head start on the gifts ... Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Sunshine said...

I like it! It's fun to experiment and use stamps for other occasions than what they were intended for. It makes the stamps more versatile, and gives others, like me, inspiration to try new things and think outside of the box! I like how you have embossed the top petals, it gives the card some dimension! I actually thought you had cut the top petals from some material, at first!
Well done:-)
Sunshine
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! I did get dies that coordinate with the stamp set, and cutting them out of different materials is a great idea. I'll have to try that! :)