Saturday, January 20, 2018

DIY chalkboard sign

I know this post was supposed to be about the projects I created with a Paper Pumpkin kit from last fall. But when I downloaded the photos on my camera, I discovered that I had one other project I hadn't shared: a wooden sign I made for my sister for Christmas.


One day in December while we were Christmas shopping, we saw these cute holiday chalkboard signs in a boutique. My sister really liked them but didn't buy one, so I decided to try to make one for Christmas.

I bought all the supplies -- wooden "slice," chalkboard paint, chalk set, and even the hanging hardware -- at Target. That was the easy part. The hard part was finding the time to make it! When I wasn't at work or trying to finish other gifts, my sister was home, which made it hard to create a secret present. I literally wrote out the "Noel" and wrapped it while she was in the shower on Christmas Eve. Good grief. (I had to add the hanger on the back after Christmas because it would have been hard to explain the hammering.)

I originally tried using paint for the design instead of chalk, but I didn't like the result, so I added another couple layers of chalkboard paint to cover it and started over. I didn't apply any sealant, so the design can be changed. It's not fancy, but it was an easy, fun project.

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Sunshine said...

Oh wow! This is a cool idea, I really like what you have done with it! I have some chalkboard paint too, but don't have any tree slices:-( I will have to have a look to see what I can paint with it! I did make myself a blackboard, but that's as far as I got! Thanks for the inspiration Andrea!
I hope your 2 fur-babies haven't touched your fabulous banner! My two like to sit on my art table and play with the scraps of card!
Sunshine,
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com