Saturday, June 11, 2016

Hollywood glitz

In my post a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned that I submitted two cards for a contest at the Rubber Stamp Expo. Well, today was the big day ... and I didn't win. It's a bummer, but I'm actually not as disappointed as I thought I'd be. There were more entries than the other two years I'd entered, and the theme this year was "Hollywood glitz," which is so not my usual style. At any rate, now that the contest is over, I'll share my cards with you.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Print Pattern, Sparkles and Smiles (Penny Black)
Paper: Basic Black, Shimmery White card stock; silver glitter paper; red foil sheets
Ink: VersaMark, Memento Tuxedo Black, Stardust Clear Gelly Roll pen (Sakura)
Accessories: Dress Up Framelits dies, Fancy Fan embossing folder, Iridescent Ice embossing powder, rhinestones, Dimensionals

When I thought about my stamping supplies in relation to glitz and glamor, I decided that a shiny red dress would fit the bill. I die cut the dress from red foil and added a silver glimmer paper belt and rhinestone buttons. I adhered the dress to a black dress form and used Dimensionals to attach it to a piece of embossed Shimmery White card stock.

For the card base I stamped the Print Pattern background on a Basic Black card with VersaMark ink and embossed it with Iridescent Ice embossing powder. I stamped a sentiment on a Shimmery White pennant and added a few dots with a Stardust Gelly Roll pen. I finished off the card with a few more sequins. (Note: The card base is slightly narrower than 4-1/4", so the card will still fit in an A2 envelope even though the pennant extends past the edge of the card.)

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: From the Garden, Endless Birthday Wishes, Tin of Cards, Over the Rainbow, Designer Typeset; Seriously Amazing, Birthday Bundle, Hello Sunshine, Blissful Bouquet (all Stampin' Up! Paper Pumpkin); Good Fortune (Lawn Fawn); To Thine Own Shelf (Simon Says Stamp)
Paper: Baked Brown Sugar, Real Red card stock; black glitter paper; gold foil sheets
Ink: Baked Brown Sugar, VersaMark
Accessories: Stars Framelits dies, clear and gold detail embossing powders, pearls, alphabet stencil (Frances Meyer, Inc.), sequins (Craft Medley Box of Chocolate and Paper Pumpkin leftovers), Wink of Stelly gold glitter brush pen, Fine-Tip Glue Pen

For this card I took the idea of a Hollywood star and changed it up a bit. I cut a star from black glitter paper for the glitz. I added a red banner in a nod to the red carpet and stamped and embossed the words "you are a." Then I traced the letters for "star" on a gold foil sheet and cut out the letters by hand. (I don't mind fussy cutting, but this was the point when I really wished I owned some sort of alphabet dies.) To give the letters a marquee look, I added tiny pearls to look like lights. (I got this idea from a post by another Stampin' Up! demo, Allison Okamitsu, who is very creative and talented.) I glued all the pieces onto the star and then attached everything to the card base with Dimensionals.

For the background, I stamped various sentiments from a whole bunch of different stamp sets. It was a little time consuming, but I was really happy with the overall effect. Then for a last touch of sparkle I added a few sequins.

Even though I didn't win the card contest, I had a great time at the stamp expo. And between this stamp show, the one I went to in April and the new Stampin' Up! catalog, I have a huge pile of new goodies to play with. I'd better get to work! Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: