Saturday, May 7, 2016

Sparkling cake on a simple card

I'm working on making a whole mess of birthday cards, so that's probably what I'll be focused on sharing for awhile. For this clean and simple card, I used outline stickers like the ones from my last post:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Paper: 110-lb white card stock (Recollections), silk microfine glitter paper (Krazy Kreations)
Ink: Alcohol markers: BT4 (Spectrum Noir), Rose Mist R83 (Copic), light and medium Daffodil Delight Blendabilities
Accessories: Eat Cake outline stickers (Krazy Kreations), Sweet Sadie washi tape, Go Green assortment sequins (Craft Medley), Mono Multi liquid glue, Glue Dots

Unlike the other cards, though, I didn't do any watercoloring on this card. Instead, I adhered the stickers -- the candle is a separate sticker from the cake and stand -- to a piece of microfine glitter paper and then colored parts of the images with alcohol markers. I know this isn't a new technique, but I've never tried it before. It's really easy to do, especially on the microfine glitter paper, and I love how the glitter still sparkles through the color.




When I was done coloring I cut around the stickers and glued them onto a white card base. (Hint: To cover the white edges of the glitter paper, run a black permanent marker along the edge.)

To embellish the card I placed a piece of washi tape along the left edge of the card. I decided to place the washi tape so the scallops are facing down to mimic the frosting on the cake layers. I don't know if anyone would ever notice that little detail, but I was pleased with it. Finally, I added three aqua-colored sequins.








Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: