Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Blossoms and birds

I still have two cards from my last donation to Operation Write Home that I haven't posted yet, so here they are:

Simple, feminine card made with Flower Filled stamp set.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Flower Filled
Paper: Blushing Bride, So Saffron, Calypso Coral, Whisper White card stock
Ink: Blushing Bride, So Saffron (pad and marker), Calypso Coral, Old Olive
Accessories: Large Polka Dot embossing folder, Banners Framelits dies, metallic foil doilies, white Perfect Accents, mini silver brads, Glue Dots, Dimensionals

I wasn't sure how this card was going to come together when I started, but I really like the end result. I started by stamping the flowers and stems on a white die-cut banner piece. I stamped the boots image on a separate piece of Whisper White card stock, cut it out, added a mini silver brad as the button, and adhered it to the banner with Dimensionals. (To get the darker color along the soles of the boots, I used my So Saffron marker to color over the stamped image.)

To embellish the banner, I added White Perfect Accents to the centers of the large flowers and adhered a silver doily (cut in half) behind the banner. I also added two narrower banners, in So Saffron and Calypso Coral, behind the white banner. I placed the focal element on a Blushing Bride card base embossed with large polka dots.

Thank-you card made with the Brick Wall embossing folder and For the Birds stamp set.
Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: For the Birds
Paper: Crumb Cake, Basic Black, Whisper White card stock
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Crumb Cake
Accessories: Ovals Collection Framelits dies, Brick Wall embossing folder, Neutrals Candy Dots, Occasions Paper-Piercing Pack, paper-piercing tool, colored pencils and blender pencil (Prismacolor), sponge, Dimensionals

I had fun coloring and blending the focal image with colored pencils, although I mixed up the colors of the birds. I intended to color the middle bird red and the top bird yellow so I didn't have the red bird holding the red heart. Oops.

For the background I embossed a piece of Crumb Cake card stock with the Brick Wall embossing folder; I thought the bricks were a good match for the idea of support in the sentiment. I sponged Crumb Cake ink around the edge of the focal layer as well as over the embossed background.

I struggled with embellishments for this card. I wanted it to be a little on the masculine side, so I wanted to avoid flowers and rhinestones. But it definitely needed something. I finally settled on a strip of Basic Black card stock to anchor the focal image and three Crumb Cake Candy Dots to add a bit of texture.

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Two cute cards! Love the colours on both of them:-)
Sunshine, New Zealand