Wednesday, August 5, 2015

A visit with friends

On Monday night I had a chance to get together with two good friends, Sarah and Andrea. We first met about sixteen years ago when we worked for the same company, but since then life has taken us all in separate directions. Although we keep in touch sporadically, it's been almost ten years since the three of us were together.

Andrea, who has lived in several states over the years, recently started a new job with a company based in the Cities, and she happened to be in town for a short business trip. I swapped a shift at work, and the three of us spent the evening at Sarah's house enjoying a delicious grilled dinner with her family, sitting on the patio and catching up.

Since Sarah was making dinner and Andrea was visiting from out of town, I wanted to bring a little gift for each of them. I decided to make two sets of cards with a friendship theme.

Cards made with Let's Chat stamp set (from Taylored Expressions).
Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Let's Chat (Taylored Expressions)
Paper: Whisper White noted cards and envelopes, Whisper White card stock, Groovy Guava and Soft Sky Designer Series Paper (DSP) Prints
Ink: Groovy Guava, Soft Sky, Memento Tuxedo Black
Accessories: Basic Black baker's twine, rhinestones, Stardust Gelly Roll pen (Sakura), 1/16" hole punch, Stamp-A-Ma-Jig, Dimensioanls

I bought this stamp set ages ago but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I knew it would be perfect for this occasion, though, so I designed a clean and simple layout and made eight cards: one set of four in Groovy Guava and the other four in Soft Sky.

I think most of the card design is self-explanatory, but here are a few tips:
- I stamped the frame image first and then used the Stamp-A-Ma-Jig tool to stamp the phone and sentiment inside the frame. I used a Gelly Roll pen to color in the dial on the phone and add a little sparkle.
- I hand-cut around the frame image.
- To add the baker's twine, I punched a 1/16" hole along the fold of the card, threaded the twine through the hole, wrapped it around the card front, and tied it in a bow on the right side of the card.

I'm so glad the three of us were able to spend some time together -- I hope it's not another ten years before we all see each other again. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: