Saturday, June 15, 2024

Mixed media graduation cards

A few weeks ago I needed to make two graduation cards. I don't make grad cards often, so I don't have any stamp sets specific to the occasion. I do have an image here and there in all-occasion sets, but rather than search for those I decided to do something a little less traditional: mixed media cards.


I have to say that I'm really pleased with how these cards turned out. I used gel prints for the backgrounds -- I chose prints that were monotone with subtle patterns -- and used a stitched rectangle die to cut them to A2 size. Then I started adding all the creative goodness.

First I used a polka dot stencil from the Art Layers Stencils by Vicki Boutin with sprays to add pattern to the lower right quadrant. For the "celebrate" card I used iridescent spray (Altenew), and for the blue card I used Two-Tone Ocean Blue and Gold Metallic Spray (Hero Arts). The iridescent spray is hard to see in the photo above, but you can see it a little better here:


Then I used the Collage Backgrounds Hero Transfers (Hero Arts) to add bits of the map and text images. With another stencil from the Art Layers Stencils, I added texture with Gold Hero Paste (Hero Arts) to three areas on each card. I also used my finger to lightly rub gold paste directly on each background. It's subtle, but it catches the light in person. 


When the paste was dry I used the Empowered Words stamp set (Unity Stamp Company) to add three encouraging sayings to each card: "Trust your heart," "Find your voice," and "Believe that you can and you will." At this point I decided that the green card needed a little something extra since the polka dots are hard to see. I decided to die cut some leafy branches from lightweight metallic green paper. It was perfect. 

For the main sentiments I die cut "hooray" and "celebrate" once from gold card stock and twice from black. I layered the pieces together and glued one to each background. Using foam tape I added a sentiment strip (Taylored Expressions) below each word. I attached each background to a top-folding white A2 card base and finished them off with sequins/clear droplets.

Although it's time-consuming to make mixed media cards (a lot of time deciding and then drying), I had a really good time creating them. I'm even debating doing something like this for my June Christmas cards. I'd better get busy!

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's lots of work on those beautiful cards! I like the gold accents, they make the card shine, literally! Like you say, they do take time to create, but it's so worth the effort! Both are gorgeous cards and I don't have a favourite because they are both so good! I'm not surprised you had so much fun creating them! Thanks for sharing! Have a fab week!
Sunshine.

Andrea said...

Thank you, Sunshine!