Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Father's Day veggies

The last couple of years my dad has become really interested in gardening. He keeps us updated on what he plants, and he shares his harvest with us (and his neighbors). So when I was thinking about what kind of Father's Day card to make for him, I knew the cute veggies from the Rooting for You stamp set(Lawn Fawn) were perfect.


I had an idea of how I wanted the card to look, and when I was looking for inspiration online, I found an amazing card by Chari Moss. I loved Chari's card, so I created my own version. Note: This card was slightly larger than A2 size (I think about 4-1/2" x 6").

I started by stamping and die cutting all the veggies and plant markers. I debated whether or not to add the little smiley faces, but I think they're pretty cute, so I went with it. I used the Chick Dies (Stampin' Up!) to make the Father's Day sign. I didn't have a sentiment that was the right size, so I wrote "Happy Father's Day" myself. Then I set those pieces aside.

To make the soil, I splattered a panel of brown card stock with two shades of brown ink (one the same shade as the card stock and one that was darker). Then I used a wavy edge die (from Adventure Edges dies from Elizabeth Craft Designs) to cut the panel into five sections. I changed the placement of the die each time to vary the little "hills." I sponged brown ink on the wavy edges of each section to add depth.

As I adhered the sections to a card base, I applied glue to just the left, right, and bottom edges. I started at the bottom and tucked in the pieces as I worked up to check the spacing (I didn't glue them at this point). Once I had the whole background adhered to the card base and all the veggies in an arrangement I was happy with, I went back and attached the veggies and signs with little drops of glue.

Inside the card I stamped the sentiment "Have an upbeet day" and then hand wrote a punny message using the names of the other vegetables. I also added one of the die-cut veggies. I still had some veggies left over (I try to stamp and cut extras, just in case), so I made one more card:

It's a simple card -- four die cuts and a stamped sentiment on a scalloped panel adhered to a kraft and silver background. But I think it's a fun encouragement card that will (I hope) make someone smile when they receive it.

Thanks for stopping by!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, these made me smile! What cute and fun vegetable stamps! I love both these cards, they are just gorgeous, and so much fun! I can see so many possibilities using these stamps! Ad I love the faces on the vegies! You could use them to make recipe cards, especially if you were makin vegie soup! Just so much fun!
Sunshine
P.S. Your dad will love his card!
xx

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! Decorated recipe cards would be adorable!