Saturday, October 28, 2023

Personalizing a card kit

When I assemble a card kit, it’s never as quick or easy as I think it will be. Mainly because I usually want to change up the designs or add details to make the cards more “me.” And that’s exactly what I did when I sat down to put together a birthday card kit I received recently.

The kit included five square card bases, five circle card bases, two sheets of patterned paper, pre-printed images, woven labels, and some other goodies. I used all of the square card bases for actual cards, but I ended up using two of the circle cards to die cut some stitched circles (on the pink card above and the two cards below) and the “happy birthday” sentiment on the orange card above. I could have used my own card stock, but this way I didn’t have to worry about finding a matching color.

I trimmed some of the pre-printed pieces to better fit my card designs. For instance, the cake slices had the sentiment “Make a wish” at the bottom, and the “Enjoy” piece (top photo) was originally a tag. I also swapped out most of the embellishments included in the kit for my own rhinestones and sequins. And I used some sequins, glitter, and a piece of acetate to create a shaker for one of the cards (below). It’s a pretty simple shaker because I don’t make them often, but I still think it’s cute.

I’m planning to donate the cards from this kit to a charitable organization, although I’m not sure which one yet. I received a few other kits along with this one, so when I have all the cards done I’ll figure out where I should send the cards based on the organizations’ needs at the time.

I did have some patterned paper and other bits left after I finished the pre-cut card bases, so I decided to make two cards for my own stash:

You can’t tell in the photo, but the black background in the right-hand card is embossed with a streamer/confetti embossing folder. That panel has been sitting in a scraps envelope for ages, and I finally had the right card for it!

I still have some leftovers from the kit, but I’m not sure if I’ll end up using them. For now I’m hanging onto them, just in case. Thanks for stopping by!



 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute, colorful, cheery - perfect birthday cards. They'll certainly be appreciated by whichever organization you donate them to.
Judy

Anonymous said...

Nice and cheerful cards Andrea! I've only just seen your last thee posts, so I'm commenting on all three in one go!
I came home Halloween evening and have felt quite worn out, so I am taking things easy. Glad you got your Lavinia goodies, I can't wait to see hat you made with them! Still waiting on my order to arrive. I think this new range is my all time favourite! Have fun!
Sunshine.

Andrea said...

Thank you, Judy and Sunshine!