Monday, July 17, 2023

A creative stretch

The card I'm sharing today is not my usual clean-and-simple style. Lately I've been watching videos related to mixed media, art journaling, making collage fodder, etc., so I wanted to try making a card that was a little more eclectic and “artsy.”

I’m not really sure what to call this style, but it was fun to make — and a good stretch for my creativity. I started with a panel of Crumb Cake card stock and stamped the architectural images and “imagine” text (all from Lost Coast Designs) using Soft Suede ink. Then I stamped the small butterfly and flower images from the retired Butterfly Basics stamp set (Stampin' Up!) randomly across the panel. I used Soft Suede ink, but I stamped the images multiple times before re-inking to get variations in the color. I used the honeycomb image from the Butterfly Basics set, stamped with Crumb Cake ink, to fill in some of the empty spots.

With a blending brush, I applied Crumb Cake ink to parts of the panel and around the edges to add more depth and an aged look. I created the white splatters with pigment ink mixed with a few drops of water. When I was done splattering, I rubbed the panel into the remaining ink to create a few patchy white spots.

The "happy birthday" sentiment and frame are from the retired Postage Collection stamp set (Stampin' Up!). (I also stamped the tiny bumblebee image from that set on the main panel using Crumb Cake ink, but they're hard to see.) I blended some Crumb Cake ink onto the sentiment square, adhered a bit of hemp twine behind it, and then used foam tape to attach it to the main panel. The gold die-cut flower was sitting on my table, so I added it on for a little bit of shine.

Using a bone folder, I distressed the edges of the Crumb Cake panel and adhered it to a Soft Suede card base. I finished the card with a few colored pearls.

I need to practice making cards/projects like this more often so I can get better at working freely and not thinking and planning so much. Sometimes it's hard to get the left side of my brain to take a break!

Thanks for stopping by!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Yes, like you said, different than your usual style ... and it is gorgeous! The gold works perfectly to accent and give contrast to the browns / earthy colors of the rest. Thank you for the detailed info - I might not have even noticed the distressing and the use of the stamping off for color variations, but adds so much to the look.
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks so much, Judy! I also thought about adding some texture paste with a stencil, but I didn’t have the patience to wait for it to dry. Something to try next time. :)

Anonymous said...

Love this card Andrea! You've done a great job creating it! I very much like the neutral colours you used, 2 of my fave SUcolours! I can tell you had fun with it! Thanks for sharing!
"Sunshine".

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! I was going to add some other colors, but I really liked how the neutrals looked.