Thursday, July 27, 2023

Just My Type

Note: This is my 1,200th blog post! That seems crazy to me. I know I post less frequently now than I did when I started this blog almost 12 years ago, but I don't think I ever thought about the possibility of that many blog posts. A big thank you to anyone who has read a post, left a comment, or been a faithful follower all these years!

I don't know why, but I love stamp images of typewriters. I have a number of stamp sets and individual stamps of typewriters, and I keep colleting them. So when I saw the Just My Type stamp set in the 2023-24 Stampin' Up! catalog, I knew I would buy it. I got it a few weeks ago and recently sat down to play with it. Here are four different cards made with Just My Type.

I think both of these cards are pretty self-explanatory, but I'll point out a few highlights:

  • The card on the left is a bit shorter than a typical A2-sized card. I didn't have enough space on the white layer to fully stamp another "hello" and I didn't want the image cut off, so I just trimmed off the extra white card stock and then cut down the card base to match.
  • To line up the "hello" images, I used a stamp positioner. I stamped the top image first and then just moved up my card stock the same amount for each consecutive color (I think I moved it up about 3/4"). Everything stays perfectly lined up!
  • The typewriter is mounted on an action wobble spring, so it adds some movement to the card.
  • Don't miss the tiny paperclip image that I stamped at the top of the sheet of paper on the card on the right. It's so cute!
  • On the inside of the card, I stamped the sentiment "I hope your day is filled with sunshine and rainbows." I wanted to use that sentiment for a birthday card (so I added a birthday sentiment strip to the card front), but it could also work for a congratulations, get well, or thinking of you card.

I had just finished making this card when I spilled some water on my craft table. The front of the card got wet and the ink started to run. Gah! Thankfully I was able to pull off the white panel and redo it so I didn't have to toss the whole card. When I remade the panel, I decided to change the layout -- and I like this one even better than the original. I guess that makes it a happy accident!

To make this panel, I stamped the flower cluster several times, making sure some of the images were clumped together near the right side. I also stamped several individual, larger flowers and then colored everything using a quick, "scribbly" style of coloring to coordinate with the style of the stamped images. I wrapped twine around the panel, rounded the corners of the white card stock, and then adhered the panel to the card base. I cut out the typewriter by hand and used foam tape to adhere it to the card front, placing it over the flower clusters on the right side of the panel. I finished this card (for the second time) with a few clear droplets.


For the last card, I chose a more muted color pallet. I stamped the typewriter, paper, sentiment, paperclip, and envelopes on a piece of white card stock. I wanted to ground the typewriter and add some interest to the white background, so I scored two horizontal lines across the card stock at about the middle of the typewriter. (I did not score over the typewriter.) Then I scored vertical lines about 1/2" apart from the top horizontal line to the top edge of the card stock. It's hard to see in the photo, but the scoring adds some texture and makes the background look like a table and a wall. I stamped the planter and plant on a separate piece of card stock, cut out the complete image, and attached it to the panel with foam tape. I mounted the panel on black card stock and then on a light green card base. In an unusual move, I decided to skip the embellishments because I liked the card as is.

I had fun playing with this stamp set, and I'm glad I added to my typewriter collection. Are there any types of images that you are drawn to when it comes to stamps? Thanks for stopping by!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love these cards Andrea! They are so "you, because you like writing and reading/books! (I wonder if you are still working on your book?) I like the scored lines, and you are so right, they do add texture to the card. Iam drawn to snowmen stamps, I just love them!
Happy crafting!
Sunshine.

Anonymous said...

Yay for 1,200 blog posts! Amazing!
The typewriter is cute - and thank you for pointing out the little paper clip. So tiny, but adds so much.
I tend to like leaves, foliage, grasses, trees...seems like I can't resist - both stamps and dies.
Judy

Andrea said...

Thank you so much, Judy and Sunshine! :)