Sunday, November 7, 2021

Kid gifts: barrettes and zipper pulls

Last week I made some ribbon barrettes and zipper pulls as birthday gifts for a few cousins and a friend's daughter. I haven't had a chance to make these in ages, so it was fun to pick out color combos and look through all my embellishments to see what would work.

I didn't write down the supplies I used, but I shared a tutorial for making ribbon barrettes in a previous post (10 years ago!), and all the basic supplies and measurements are listed there. If you'd like to see more examples of either the barrettes or zipper pulls, just search the appropriate phrase on my blog.

 
For the barrette holders, I cut pieces of kraft card stock, rounded the corners, and used a white paint pen to doodle a border and accents. I also used a punch to make slots in the card stock for the back prong of the barrettes to slide through.

These zipper pulls/bag tags are made with flattened bottle caps -- purchased as a papercrafting embellishment; I didn't flatten them myself :) -- monster buttons, mini chains, and the zipper pull clips. The backing card for these was actually a background panel that's been sitting in my stash of odds and ends. I made it using Color Burst powders, and even though it's a little wild and crazy, I liked the bright colors with the zipper pulls. I just used a black marker to make a faux stitched border and punched three holes along the top to clip on the pulls.

That's it for my quick post today. Thanks for stopping by and have a great week!


2 comments:

Sunshine. said...

These are fun Andrea! They will surely make great gifts! I like all the clours, and especially the background card holding the zipper pulls!
You have some fun ideas for gifts!
Sunshine.

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine!