Thursday, January 16, 2020

Viking valentine

Can you believe Valentine's Day is less than a month away? It always seems to sneak up on me after Christmas. Again this year, I'm making valentines to donate to local Meals on Wheels recipients. When I contacted the local organization last week to see how many cards they would need, I found out they still had some cards left from last year, so they only need fifty cards this year.

Fifty cards may sound like a lot, but last year I made over a hundred cards. And since I make multiples of each design, fifty cards really isn't too bad. Best of all, it means I have time to make the card designs a little more involved, like this punny card:

Supplies:
Stamps: Viking (Avery Elle)
Paper: Whisper White, thick Whisper White, Basic Black card stock; Wood Textures Designer Series Paper (DSP) Stack (all Stampin' Up!)
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black (Tsukineko); colored pencils - PC943, PC1065, PC901, PC924, PC927, PC946, PC1084 (Prismacolor)
Accessories: Viking dies (Avery Elle), Small Stitched Rectangle Stackables dies (Lawn Fawn), jute twine (May Arts Ribbon), mini Action Wobble spring (Art Impressions), Gamsol kit (Taylored Expressions)

I love this little Viking, and I thought he would be perfect for some masculine Valentine's Day cards. I stamped the image -- and all the little hearts -- four times on white card stock, colored them with colored pencils, and used Gamsol to blend the coloring. (I would have done more, but I'm not the fastest color-er, and I didn't want to get overwhelmed.) Then I used the coordinating dies to cut out the images.

After trying out some different ideas for the background, I settled on a panel of wood texture DSP backed with a layer of black card stock. I wrapped jute twine around the front of a white card base and then and adhered the panel over the twine in the center of the card.

I adhered the Viking to a mini Action Wobble spring and then attached the spring to the wood texture DSP. Now he can do a little Viking jig! For a final touch I glued the die-cut hearts around the image to give the cards a little more Valentine's Day feel.

I'll be sharing more Meals on Wheels valentines over the coming weeks. And I need to get started on my monthly Christmas cards, too! Thanks for stopping by today!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute! And the little wobble spring will really make people smile. The viking is a great tie-in to the MN football team too. I'm not a football fan, but it was hard to miss hearing when they were in the playoffs, even though they didn't make it to the big game.
Judy

Sunshine said...

Very cute little Vikings Andrea! I am sure they will be very much appreciated! You hae done an excellent job with them!
Sunshine
ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

Thanks, Judy! I did think about using purple and yellow to color the vikings. :) I

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! Hope you're feeling better!