Saturday, November 24, 2018

Sailing-themed masculine cards

I know it's not exactly sailing season right now, at least not around here, but it's always a good time for masculine card ideas, right?

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Seas the Day (Taylored Expressions)
Paper: Cherry Cobbler, Bordering Blue, Crumb Cake, Soft Suede (smooth and textured), Whisper White card stock; Wood Textures Designer Series Paper (DSP) stack
Ink: Soft Suede
Accessories: Know the Ropes embossing folder (Taylored Expressions); Sitting Pretty, Sitting Pretty Nautical Accessories, Helm, Life Preserver dies (Taylored Expressions); linen thread; Vintage brads

These weren't necessarily the fastest cards to make, but they definitely were easy. I planned ahead of time to make several cards, so I used two colors for card bases -- Cherry Cobbler and long-retired Bordering Blue (still one of my favorite neutrals) -- and layered each card base with a panel embossed with a rope texture. Then I cut a 6" x 6" piece of Wood Textures DSP into four pieces, and adhered one piece to each card base.

To build the focal layer, I cut the shelf out of textured Soft Suede card stock four times and glued one shelf to each Wood Textures DSP panel. For the rest of the little shapes, I die cut them out of all the card stock colors (Cherry Cobbler, Bordering Blue, Crumb Cake, Soft Suede and Whisper White) and collected them all in a little plastic container. Then I just dug through the container to choose the pieces I wanted to use on each card.

I wanted a little more texture, on the card so I wrapped a bit of linen thread into a loop and secured it with a knot. Then I attached it to the card front with a brad placed under the shelf, so it looks like rope hanging on a peg. Note: If you don't want the brad prongs to show on the inside of the card, you can do this step before you adhere the embossed panel onto the card base. Just be sure to add the Wood Textures DSP background square first.

After finishing the card fronts, I had quite a few pieces left over. So inside the cards I added a white panel, stamped a sentiment, and glued on a few extra die-cut shapes.

I stamped birthday sentiments inside all the cards, but you could easily use a variety of sentiments -- or omit them altogether -- and give these cards as a great set of masculine cards.

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks yet again for some excellent inspiration for masculine cards! I have a SU Paper Pumpkin kit from this past year that had nautical elements. I haven't done a thing with it since I didn't really care for the specific projects & I just let it sit. I think I can put some of those pieces to use now with this inspiration. (And hopefully get them done by next summer when people are back out on the lakes in boats!) Ha!
Judy