Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Sneak peek: Pick a Pennant

I'm back today with another sneak peek set from the upcoming 2018-19 Stampin' Up! catalog: Pick a Pennant. This is a versatile photopolymer set with two different style banners -- triangle pennants and rounded pennants -- and several ways to customize them. There is a capital serif alphabet (including some duplicate letters) and numbers, patterns to add to the pennants and accents like bows, a tassel, hearts and stars, a small bunch of flowers and even a little bird that can sit on your banner. Several of the images have outline and "filler" stamps so you can quickly and easily add color to the image.

I have three cards to share today: two featuring banners and one without just to show another possibility with this set. Both of my banner cards are for birthdays, since that's the type of card I use the most, but this set would also make perfect cards for weddings/engagements, a new baby or any type of celebratory event.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Pick a Pennant
Paper: Coastal Cabana, Night of Navy, Lemon Lime Twist, Whisper White card stock
Ink: Night of Navy, Lemon Lime Twist, Coastal Cabana
Accessories: Clear Wink of Stella glitter brush pen, Lemon Lime Twist ombre ribbon, Dimensionals

I'm so excited that Coastal Cabana is returning to Stampin' Up! color line-up as one of the core colors. It looks great with Lemon Lime Twist, which will be around for one more year as an In Color. I "grounded" those two bright colors with Night of Navy, which is a little softer than black. Night of Navy (along with return Mossy Meadow and new Merry Merlot) will be moving to the Neutrals collection in the next catalog. That may seem strange at first, but I often use Night of Navy as a neutral, like in this card.

Speaking of this card, I stamped one of the banners twice in Lemon Lime Twist and Coastal Cabana and then used Night of Navy to add the letters and stars to the pennants. I added more stars in Lemon Lime Twist and Coastal Cabana to the white background and then painted them with clear Wink of Stella glitter (which you can't see in this photo). I matted that piece with Night of Navy and added a small Lemon Lime Twist card stock banner in the upper right corner.

For the card base I used Coastal Cabana and stamped a few little stars along the bottom. I adhered a piece of Lemon Lime Twist ribbon across the card base and attached the focal panel with Dimensionals.

Since this was kind of a "boyish" color combo, I decided to try one that was a little more feminine, too.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Pick a Pennant, Tabs for Everything
Paper: So Saffron, Whisper White card stock
Ink: So Saffron, Crushed Curry, Flirty Flamingo, Melon Mambo, Pear Pizzazz, Wild Wasabi
Accessories: Metallics sequins assortment, linen thread, Dimensionals

For this card, I stamped several of the banners with rounded pennants using Pear Pizzazz, So Saffron and Flirty Flamingo (which will be added to the core color collection in the upcoming catalog). Then I added some of the pattern stamps using Wild Wasabi (which will be retiring), Crushed Curry and Melon Mambo. I stamped the birthday sentiment (from another set) in Melon Mambo between a couple of the banners.

To embellish the panel, I wrapped a piece of linen thread around the left side three times and tied it off in a bow. I also added a several iridescent sequins scattered around the panel. I used Dimensionals to attach the whole piece to a So Saffron card base.

Supplies (all Stampin' Up!):
Stamps: Pick a Pennant
Paper: Thick Whisper White, Flirty Flamingo, Pool Party, Daffodil Delight, Calypso Coral, Whisper White card stock; Neutrals Designer Series Paper (DSP) stack
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Flirty Flamingo, Pool Party, Daffodil Delight, Calypso Coral, Pear Pizzazz
Accessories: Stitched Shapes and Layering Circles Framelits dies, Calypso Coral twine, rhinestones, Dimensionals

The little bird and flower images from the Pick a Pennant set are cute on their own, so I made a simple card featuring just those two images. I stamped each image twice with Memento Tuxedo Black ink on Whisper White card stock and then used the "filler" stamps to add the color. (I did use markers to color the birds' beaks and the center of the flowers.)

I die-cut each image with a small stitched circle die and then matted it with a scalloped circle cut from coordinating card stock.

I used Thick Whisper White card stock for the base and added a layer of black and white polka dot DSP (from a retired DSP stack). I arranged the four circles in a grid and attached them near the top of the card with Dimensionals. I wrapped Calypso Coral twin around the bottom of the card base twice and tied it off in a bow. I finished off the card with simple rhinestones placed on three of the white polka dots.

I hope you enjoyed this sneak peek. Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Sunshine said...

You have been busy Andrea! Three gorjuss cards today! I like how you use the twine, it adds a little bit of texture and really finishes the cards off nicely!
While I like them all, I think my favourite one is the last one with the polka dots, and birds and flowers. Hard to choose just one!
Thanks:-)
Sunsine.
wwwihearttostamp.blogspot.com