Monday, April 23, 2018

What a difference a week makes

Welcome to April in Minnesota. Last weekend we were in the midst of a full-fledged blizzard. It was cold, windy and snowed for basically two solid days -- about two feet worth when all was said and done. Fast forward a week, and we have sunny skies and temperatures in the 60°s F (I think the high was 71°F today). Perfect. I've been eating lunch outside and sitting at the picnic table and reading after work. There are some lingering piles of snow in the places that don't get quite enough sun, and I know that we may still see cooler temps and frost, but it's definite progress. Thank goodness!

In honor of what almost feels like tropical weather, here's a fun little island scene:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Stamps: Waterfront
Paper: Whisper White, Pool Party card stock; Tutti-Frutti 6" x 6" Designer Series Paper (DSP)
Ink: Pool Party, Crum Cake, Calypso Coral, Chocolate Chip, Garden Green, Crushed Curry
Accessories: Burlap trim, rhinestones, Tiny Attacher (Tim Holtz), Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers), Strands die (Essentials by Ellen), Dimensionals

I took a break from playing with my new sneak-peek goodies to play with some supplies I ordered months ago and hadn't used yet. The waterfront stamp set is so much fun -- the possibilities with this build-a-scene set are endless, and I'm pretty pleased with how my first attempt turned out. I would love to be relaxing on this beach!

I used Pool Party card stock for my card base. To bring out the color of the cabana, I added a layer of Calypso Coral patterned DSP. Then, using the Strands die from Essentials by Ellen, I created some "waves" out of Pool Party card stock and adhered them to the right side of the card base. A few rhinestones create the impression of the sun sparkling on the water.

To add a little texture to the card, I stapled a small piece of burlap trim to the upper left corner of the stamped piece. Using Dimensionals I adhered the focal layer to the left side of the card base.

This card makes me smile, and I know exactly who will be receiving it. Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

Sunshine said...

What a fun card! I love how you did the rhinestones with the little "strands" on the side! Yes, I too would love to be sitting in the sun at the beach - book me in!! Glad you have some warm sunny weather after the snow! I bet your two fur-babies will be enjoying the sun too:-) Hvae a good week:-)
Sunshine.
www.ihearttostamp.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

Thanks, Sunshine! This weekend we opened the windows for the first time since last fall. The cats are interested in the new smells, but don’t like the extra noise. They’re nervous babies.

Anonymous said...

Great card - I have that set, but haven't used it yet - definitely inspired now. And I'm in complete agreement about the weather. So nice to step outside and realize I'm not shivering. :-)
Judy

Andrea said...

Thanks, Judy! I loved this set as soon as I saw it; I’m not sure what took me so long to actually use it!