Thursday, January 4, 2018

Resolutions and intentions

Happy new year! Did you bring in the new year with a bang? I had a quiet New Year's Eve at home, watching TV, playing on the computer and enjoying holiday treats.

One thing I didn't really think about this year was resolutions. I usually don't make hard and fast resolutions, per se, because I never seem to be successful with them. I think people are unrealistic about new year's resolutions and try to make grand, sweeping changes all at once and then get frustrated and quit when something goes awry. Or maybe that's just me.

I prefer the idea of choosing a trait or idea to focus on throughout the year. Maybe it's health or nature or family or gratitude. Whatever you feel needs more attention in your life.

In my yoga class this afternoon, our teacher put out slips of paper with different words on them. We could choose a word (or several) to use as our intention during class and as something to be more mindful of in the new year. There were many good options, but I was drawn to the word brave. I am a worrier. I feel like I worry about everything, all the time, and it can be exhausting. It's hard to step out of my comfort zone and be brave when I'm so focused on what could go wrong. So while I don't know yet what brave looks like for me, I think it's a good choice for me in 2018.

Incidentally, we've done this exercise in yoga class in previous years, and I've saved my slips of paper. I got them out this afternoon to see what words I've collected. I have laughter, peace, friends, two slips with strength, and another brave. So I guess strength and bravery it is.

Do you have any new year's resolutions or intentions? Whether you do or not, I hope 2018 has great things in store for you. Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Sunshine said...

I don't make New Years resolutions, but if I did it might be to not make the same mistakes I did last year. And perhaps to be more 'mindful', one of the topics I learned in my psychology course I did last year.
Sunshine, New Zaland
www.ihearttostamp.blogspot.com