Saturday, April 30, 2016

Card-making activity for work

I am on the human resources team at work, and one of my job responsibilities is to plan a monthly calendar for our break room with different activities for team members to do (my lesson-planning skills from childcare have been put to good use!). I try to vary the activities, and each month I like to do something creative, such as making origami, cutting coffee filters into intricate snowflakes, or creating paper flowers to decorate the break room.

When I started working on the calendar for May, I knew I wanted to do a Mother's Day card-making activity. I picked out a few supplies we had in the store -- white card stock, gold striped washi tape and twine -- added in a few of my own supplies and created this card design:

Supplies (all Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted):
Paper: White card stock (unknown), Pistachio Pudding and Strawberry Slush card stock, All Abloom Designer Series Paper (DSP) Stack
Accessories: Fun Flower punch, Sweet Buttons Embosslits die, gold striped washi tape (Target), twine (Target), foam tape (3M), liquid glue

I knew I needed to have a relatively simple card design for a couple of reasons: 1) We have limited work space and limited time for breaks, and 2) I won't necessarily be around to help or answer questions. I also wanted a fairly generic design so the card didn't necessarily have to be for Mother's Day. (I am bringing in two different sentiments to stamp inside the card: "Happy Mother's Day" and "Thinking of You.")

I'm planning to cut the layers of card stock, punch the flowers and die cut the buttons ahead of time. I'll probably use a few different colors and DSP patterns so there's a little variety. (I have so much card stock and DSP that I'm happy to share some of it.)

In terms of providing instructions, I think I'm going to divide things up into a few basic steps and put the materials for each step into a plastic baggie with the instructions taped to the outside of the bag. (For example, "Step 1: Select a layer of colored card stock." "Step 2: Adhere a piece of washi tape along the bottom of the layer. Tie a piece of twine just above the washi tape.") Of course, everyone is welcome to design whatever card they want, but I have a feeling they'll appreciate a little direction. Either way, I just hope my coworkers try making a card and enjoy the activity.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: